Flint Marko

Flint Marko's POV

I ran as fast as my legs could carry.

The police car was on my tail, and I had to find a good place to hide before the cops turned the corner.

'I have to see her!'

I hid behind a dumpster.

The police vehicle slowly passed by.

'I swear to God, if they see me...'

They didn't stop.

They continued to drive, turning a corner, leaving me behind.

'Good. Now, let's go home.'

I ran to a fire escape, and began climbing the ladder.

Soon, I made it to my floor.

I opened the window and entered my apartment.

I looked at the bed to my left, and I saw her.

'Penny...'

My sick daughter was lying in bed.

She'd been sick for years. I'd spent years trying to get money, so I'd turned to a life of crime to get money to give her proper medical attention. I never had too much luck though.

I couldn't stay for too long. The cops would probably be here looking for me. I needed to do anything important and get out.

I headed to my room and pulled out my green striped shirt.

Timeskip

I was trying to get something to eat before I went back on the run.

Suddenly, the lights turned on.

'Great. Here we go.'

I turned to my ex-wife, who stood, cross armed, at the doorway.

"You can't hide here, Flint," she said.

"I'm just here to see my daughter," I explained.

"You are an escaped convict," she said. "The cops are looking for you. You're not getting near her. You're nothing but a common thief. You maybe even killed a kid."

"It wasn't like that!" I said. "It wasn't."

Every time I thought of the kid from that night, I felt horribly bad for him.

"I had a good reason for what I was doing," I told her. "And that's the truth."

"You and the truth," she said, "sitting in prison, having three meals a day together. I live in a prison. It's a great truth. And that is a truth that you left behind. Right there in that bedroom."

I looked to Penny's bedroom door, and I saw her standing in the hall, listening to our conversation.

'At least I can talk to her before I leave.'

I walked up to her. I knelt down to her, holding her arms.

"Penny," I said, "I missed you."

"I missed you too, Daddy," her sweet, innocent voice said to me.

She took my hand with her own soft, delicate ones, and placed a locket in my hand.

I felt a major pain in my chest.

I wished I could've stayed with her longer, but I had to leave. I had to get out of here before the police showed up.

I looked into her innocent eyes.

"I promise I'll make you healthy again," I said. "Whatever it takes. I'll get the money."

"You get out of here," my wife said. "Now."

I headed to the window, and I stepped onto the fire escape.

I stood there for a moment. I had one more thing I needed to tell them.

"I'm not a bad person," I said. "Just had bad luck."

I started climbing down the fire escape.