Chapter 15 - Daniel

- Jasmine -
I walked down the stairs and into the kitchen where mum had already started cooking. I turned and looked back out into the living room, Toby was still asleep on the couch.

"You told him you'd wake him so he could help." Mum said continuing to cut cheese and not looking at me.

"Mum, he's a guest. There is no way I'm waking him up to help." I mumbled still half asleep.

Toby's phone vibrated on the coffee table but he didn't even stir. I walked over and the screen was illuminated with the name 'Daniel'. Holy crap, should I answer it? Who was Daniel? I bit my lip and pressed answer, holding the phone to my ear.

"Hello?" I said quietly trying not to wake Toby.

"Toby? You sound like a girl." The guy who was Daniel chuckled.

"Ahh" I bit down hard on my lip searching for something to say, anything.

"Seriously, who is this?" Daniel asked.

"Toby's asleep." I blurted.

"But you didn't answer the question. Who are you? And why do you have his phone?"

Toby stirred beside me, "I'm his, well..."

"Oh I get it, you're his new girlfriend."

"How did you know?"

"It wouldn't surprise me. So many girls have fallen in love with Toby, but he says their all not right for him. The relationships don't last very long, you know."

Toby sat up beside me and looked at me strangely, "Um well if you want to talk to Toby he's awake now." I shoved the phone to Toby and rushed away back to the kitchen. I was embarrassed, I should have just left the phone.

I could hear Toby talking, "Seriously, what did you say to her?" An incredibly long silence. "Why'd you tell her that?" More silence, "Are you really sure you want to meet up with me? Because if we do I'm likely to kick your ass." Toby laughed, "Nah I'm kidding. I can't see you today I'm at a barbecue maybe tomorrow. I gotta go see ya."

I step away from the door frame I'd been eavesdropping at and walked over to the fridge to get some salad items out. When I turned back Toby was leaning against the door frame watching me.

Mum cleared her throat and disappeared out the back door. I stared after her, well, there goes my moral support. What was a good excuse for answering your boyfriend's phone? There wasn't one.

"I shouldn't have answered your phone."

"What'd he say to you?"

"How do you know him?"

"J, you didn't answer my question."

"Nothing. Now answer mine."

"He's just a guy I know."

"A friend?" I raised an eyebrow.

"S'pose you could call him that if you want. He lives three blocks over."

"Never seen him in my life. Hey why don't you invite him over here today?" I gave him a smile.

"It's not my party to invite people too."

"Well I said you could. Come to think of it I haven't seen any of your friends."

"Fine. I'll go call him back." Toby walked back inside and I started setting up the tables with snack foods.

"Hey Jazz!" Zoe called from behind me. I turned around and she hugged me, Dylan stood beside her and hugged me.

"Hey Jazz, I don't mean to ask, but is Corey coming? Zoe said things were awkward last night between you two."

Toby came out the back door and stopped when he saw Dylan. "Toby, this is Dylan." I said.

"Maybe I should go." Toby replied.

"Please don't." Dylan said.

"I'm not exactly-" Toby started.

"What Corey did to Jazz was wrong, and you were there for her when she needed you. No hard feelings?" Dylan put out his hand.

Toby shook it, "No hard feelings." he smiled.

I heard the side gate open and I walked over to see who it was, I rounded the corner and ran straight into Corey.

I cleared my throat, "What are you doing here?"

"I need to borrow you for a minute."

"What?"

"Jazz," he sighed "Will you ever forgive me?"

"I don't know."

"My life's empty without you."

"Well maybe you should have thought of that before you kissed Gemma."

"Look Jazz, I made a mistake. A really stupid mistake."

"Seems to me like you don't need me anymore."

"Please Jasmine, just give me one more chance."

"Why? So you can break my heart again?"

"I'd never do it again."

"Once a cheater always a cheater." I turned my face away and lowered my eyes to the ground.

"What can I do to make you forgive me? I'll do anything."

"Anything?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Anything."

"Dump Wes, tell that slut to piss off and make friends with Toby."

"And I can have you back?"

"As your girlfriend?"

"Yeah."

"Man." I sighed, "You think it's gonna be that easy, you cheated remember?"

"I did." he admitted.

"You have to prove to me that you'll never -and I mean never- cheat on me again, before I'd even consider being your girlfriend again."

"I said I'd do anything didn't I?"

"You did. Now why don't you get started by apologising to Toby for being a dick."

"So I get to stay for the barbecue?"

"Yeah you can stay. But only if give me a hug because I need one."

He hugged me and I felt that warm felling of familiarity with the way he hugged me.

"You have no idea how much I needed that too." he smiled at me.

"Friends?" I asked.

"Friends. For now anyway, I'm gonna make you my girlfriend again so don't get to comfortable with being friends." he smirked.

"Oh for god sakes wipe that stupid smirk off your face." I smiled.

I walked back around the corner with Corey and noticed the others were staring in the back door. I ran over and saw my parents both standing by the phone, mum was talking and dad was standing beside her. They looked worried and flustered.

"Hey Jasmine," Daniel said," What's up with your parents?"

My eyes were wide, "I have no idea." I gasped and ran inside closing the door behinds so they couldn't gawk in anymore.

"Dad what's going on." I asked

He just looked at me with sad eyes.