Chapter 28 - Returning to college

- Jasmine -
Being back at college was hard. Various other students had complied a shrine under the lamp post where Corey had been shot. The most unfortunate thing was that I had a clear view of the shrine from my dorm window, and to be honest it wasn't helping me get over him.

I had English in twenty minutes but I didn't know how I was supposed to concentrate on class, if I couldn't even sleep.

My eyes darted back to my desk when the - still unopened - envelope lay. I was too scared to open it or even think about what was inside.

"What the hell." I muttered and tore it open with my finger. My eyes fixed on the paper, and I bit my lip and started to read.

"Jasmine, I knew things would come to this. I over heard Wes talking to someone. I never actually saw who they were, but he was told to kill Toby and... you. But whoever it was knew where you and Toby would be, and I heard. I wasn't about to let anything hurt you, I guessed something might happen to me so I wrote this letter just in case. I wronged you too many times and you always forgave me even though 99% of the time I didn't deserve your forgiveness. You deserve someone who will love you unconditionally, and that someone can't be me. I regret so much, but what I regret the most is losing you and hurting you. I want you to be safe and if the cost of that is my life, then that's the way it is. Toby is going to graduate college and become a carpenter and probably have his own business, whereas I would have been nothing. I'm just not smart enough to be anything but a guy who would spend the rest of his life working at Walmart. I know you're going to do great things Jasmine, and I only would have held you back. I'll always love you sweetheart even if you don't love me back. Corey xx"

Tears rolled down my face, "I love you too Corey." I cried hugging the note paper to my chest.

The bell sounded and I stuffed the note into my bag, wiped my eyes and ran for the English building.

I managed to somehow get to class on time and sat down just as the teacher entered. I paper ball hit me in the back of the head and I spun around to see Indiana staring at me.

"Are you alright?" She mouthed.

Am I alright? Heck I didn't even know if I was alright or not, so I shrugged and turned back to the board as the teacher began the lecture.

God this was boring, I started to wander off into a daydream, my eyes closed...

*FLASHBACK*

"Come on dude he's not worth it." Dylan reasoned keeping a tight grip on Corey's arm.

"You're right." he said turning to walk away. As he walked past me he put his hand on my waist and steered me toward his car.

"Are you alright because he punched you pretty hard?" I asked him. "I'm fine he punches like a girl." he said finally smirking for the first time today. "Now that is offensive to girls." I laugh and he smirked again.

"I'm sorry I didn't find you before he could attack you." he apologised for the thousandth time. "Look if you don't stop apologising to me I will punch you harder than Tristan did." I said seriously.

"Fine I'll stop apologising if you let me take you to get ice cream." he said smirking.

"One you know that's blackmail and two if you don't wipe that stupid smirk of your face I'm not going to get ice cream with you." I said taking my chance to smirk back.

"You're so badass you know that." he said opening the door for me and we walked in and found a booth.

"Are you kidding of course I know I'm badass, no one is good all the time." I answered with a pointed look.

*FLASHBACK END*

"Jasmine?" I heard a muffled voice. "Jasmine."

"Huh." I opened my eyes, Toby stood there watching me.

"You fell asleep in class, Indi came and got me.

"Where is everyone?" I asked confused.

"Class finished half an hour ago." he said, "What were you dreaming about?"

"Would you be upset if I said it was Corey?" I said immediately feeling stupid saying it out loud.

"I'm not mad."

"I'm so pathetic." I say laughing half heartedly.

"No you're not. When someone dies we mourn that's just how it is." he hugged me and squeezed me gently.

"He still thinks he's nothing." I murmur.

"What do you mean?"

"The note he left me."

"You opened it?" Toby watched me in disbelief.

"Yep. He still reckons he wouldn't have amounted to anything, but I know he would have."

"There's only one way to find out."

"How?"

"You'll have to wait and see J." he smirked and took my hand, "Because where there's a will there's a way."