Changes

Winston pov

*2 weeks later*

It had been 2 weeks since Monty last stayed over. I wanted him to not go back to his house, but he insisted on it. He told me "the longer I take to go back, the worse my beating will be."
He said it so normal, when it's actually not normal.

I recently got expelled from Hillcrest. My parents are pissed but it's whatever. So what if I won't end up going to Princeton in the future. I have enough money to go wherever I want, although I still want to try to get a scholarship somewhere. I still have 2 years, I don't got to worry about that stuff right now.

The new school I'd be attending is none other than, Liberty High. Where Monty goes.

It's gonna be so awkward. We spent like 3 days together and then after he went home, we just didn't text. As soon as he left, I had a feeling this was what would happen. All I know is that he's been reading them. Maybe his dad checks his phone or something, or he doesn't wanna risk being caught.

I don't blame him, he's fathers a huge asshole.

Anyways, today's my first day at Liberty. I didn't tell Monty because I stopped texting him after a while. It was pointless if he was just gonna read them, and I know that sounds selfish but, it's so tiring when you're the only one putting in effort.

I see his friends social media posts with him in it. They're at parties and stuff. I got invited to one of them, but I didn't go because I didn't think he'd be there.

I woke up kinda early because I wanted to look good today. I wanted to surprise Monty in the best way possible. I know he's not gonna come and talk to me, but he'll definitely stare.

I made sure I smelled nice too.

I wasn't gonna have anyone I already knew that was there, besides Monty but I know he's too ashamed to be friends with me. What if I don't make any friends? I hate this. Being the new kid at places. It's sucks.

I got in my car and drove to Liberty. It was a farther drive than Hillcrest but it wasn't too bad. I stopped at Starbucks first to get a vegan Frappuccino.

*at the school*

Should I just stay in the car? No, I can't. The principal already knows I'm supposed to be coming today. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. I just got to go in and that's it.

I stepped out of my car and started walking towards the building. There were so many other kids walking with me, but not actually with me. You know what I mean?

They didn't seem to stare or anything. All they did was look at me because I was new, and just go on with their conversations. That made me feel a little better.

My parents told me over the phone that I'd go to the front office as soon as I got there.

"Uh, hi I'm the new student who was supposed to come here today and get my uh, schedule and stuff."

"Name?"

"Winston Williams."

"Ahh yes. Right this way. I'll take you to Principal Bolan. He wanted to have a quick chat with you before he sent you off on your first day here."

I just smiled and nodded.

She lead me to his office.

"The superintendent said- uh hang on I'll have to call you back. I have a new student."

He hung up the phone and gestured for me to sit down.

"Sorry about that Winston. It's Winston right?"

"Yes sir."

"Are you excited?"

"Yea and a little nervous. I don't really know anyone here." My leg started bouncing up and down.

"Okay well I don't want to make you late for your first day of school here. So here's your locker number and combination, and your schedule. If you want a schedule change so you can take a specific class, just go on over to Ms. Salazar."

"I'm sorry who?"

"The lady that walked you in here."

"Oh right. Okay I'll be going then."

"Okay good. Have a great day."

"Thank you."

I walked out as soon as possible. I was so nervous the whole time that I didn't even see what I had for first.

Chemistry. Great. I've never really enjoyed any type of science, like ever. I knew I would hate it forever when I'm elementary school we were required to participate in the science fair.

Gross. I literally always winged them and did them last minute, which now that I think about it, I do that with most stuff. But that's just how I've always passed. I don't study. I just don't like it and I just take tests and I pass. And I've been a procrastinator my whole life, which explains me doing things last minute all the time. I've tried to do work days before but I just lose motivation. I work better under pressure.

Enough talking to myself in my head. Got to get to class.

After minutes of walking around, I found the classroom. I didn't wanna bother the others because, social anxiety, so I just had to do things the hard way.

I opened the door and the kids were already sitting down in their seats.

"He's hot." A girl sitting in the front said. I just smiled.

"Oh hi. You must be the new student. We've all been expecting you."

"Yes I am. I couldn't find the classroom that's why I didn't come in sooner. Apologies."

"Oh don't worry hon. It's your first day, I'll cut you some slack."

I stared at the class awkwardly, still at the front because the teacher didn't tell me to sit down.

"Why don't you tell us your name?"

"Okay sure. Hi, I'm Winston."

"Thank you Winston. You can go ahead and have a seat anywhere you'd like."

I sit in the seat all the way in the back. There were at least 30 kids in this classroom and my anxious self didn't get a chance to look at everyone because I hated making eye contact.

As I was just sitting there, I felt my ear burning. It wouldn't go away. I ignored it for about another minute, then I finally realize why I was feeling like that. Someone was staring at me.

I turned my head slowly towards the left, and I don't see anyone staring at me, but I see him.

Montgomery De La Cruz.

I turned my face towards the teacher again, and the burning on my ear came back. I knew he was staring at me. I turned my head again towards the left, but this time fast.

I caught him. He tried to play it off, but he knew I already saw him.

"Dumb boy." I said to myself.