Aurora chap 11 - Instinct

Even though I wasn't allowed to do my duties in the temples, I surely was happy to get a break. Since Father ordered the men away and the women to hide, it's been quite lonely too. Sitting in the house was quiet with some rare moments of men’s voices calling each other outside telling them to get to their stations. I am convinced the Tainians won’t try to harm us.But perhaps, I was, maybe, being a little to certain, especially for someone that only knew the basics about the Tainians people . But If there was going to be a war, I would fight. I would of liked to learn archery if it wasn’t for the rule that the women of our society weren't allowed to learn how to wield swords, since those teachings were meant for the men. I would be fighting right now!

One night, I had a dream that I was like a hero, that I saved a city from an unknown force, and ever since then I have a little part of me that wants to be that hero. I hurry down the stairs and quickly look around making sure father didn't come back. If something is going to happen I need to be prepared, I walk out to the kitchen and open the utensil drawer, I reach to grab a knife with sharp rugged edges. I hesitate and place it back in and shut the drawer.

I don't need the knife, nothing is going to happen. If anything someone will come and protect me. I think to myself trying to be realistic.

I then hear shouting from outside that sounded like a death gasp from a man. I hear some horses squeal. Then, panicking a little, I blow out the candles in the house. I blow out the last candle on the second floor in my bedroom and secretly look out the window; I gasp and see a man lying on the ground with an arrow through his body. Something is going on.

I rush back downstairs staying as quietly as I can. I look around in worry, I notice a small light in the living area, I forgotten to blow out a candle. I take a few steps forward heading toward the living area trying to keep quiet. I hear a slow creek; I stare down at my feet and realize it wasn't me that made the sound. I stay frozen, starting to feel fear. I listen attentively; I hear another creek, then a foot step.

Afraid, I run into the kitchen to the utensil drawer and grab the knife, I hear more foot steps behind me, and I turn around ready to strike. Before I could, I stop because what I see. Was something impossible?