Chapter 3

Camila’s POV

Lauren and Emelia stayed wound together, holding each other for a good five minutes before they broke away, Lauren kissing our daughter’s head as she does so. Tears still trickle down the cheeks of Lauren and me as we both just watch the grin on Emelia’s face grow larger at Lauren’s tenderness.

“You are so beautiful, Emelia.”

“You have the same eyes as I do, mummy. And you have this,” she points to Lauren’s widow’s peak, “just like me.” She turns away from her new mother and walks over to Khiara, taking her hand.

“Khi, this is my new mummy. Her name is-”, her eyes furrow, unable to identify her name. “What’s your name, mummy?” She whispers in Lauren’s ear though we can all still hear.

“It’s Lauren,” she replies, just as quiet.

“Khiara, this is my new mummy Lauren,” she announces with pride. “And that’s Khiara,” she says to Lauren, pointing at the youngest girl, “and she’s my best friend.”

Lauren smiles. She just smiles. Her eyes have not once moved from Emelia, looking at with such softness and such love. She looks at her like I do. Like a mother would.

“Ma, can I have two mummys?” I hear Khiara say to Dinah, causing everyone to erupt with laugh; breaking through my thoughts.

“No sweetie because guess what? You have a daddy. And that’s just the man we’re going to see. We’re going to go and have fun with daddy and we’re going to leave Emelia here with Aunt Mila and Lauren”, Dinah explains.

“Lauren’s staying here?” Khiara asks with a groan.

“Yes, my mummy’s staying here with me!”

Lauren looks to me for the first time since she and Emelia first saw each it. Softness and love evident in her face once more. Knowing that I’ve made both her and Emelia happy with this meeting feels incredible. It’s like, that’s all that matters to me. Lauren and our daughter’s happiness is all that matters. Already, it feels as though Lauren is a part of our family. And it doesn’t feel weird, maybe different, but not weird. It feels right.

It’s nearing five o’clock when Dinah finally gets Khiara out of the house; protesting to stay with Lauren with “I can see daddy any day,” only for Emelia to reply, “yeah, and we can Lauren every day now too!” After seeing Khiara with her father a lot of the time, Emelia was really persistent for everyone else to leave so she could spend time with Lauren.

“Does Emelia have school tomorrow?” Lauren asks me while our daughter runs to her room, probably to grab everything she owns in hope Lauren will play with her with something. But the truth is, Lauren will do anything Emelia asks; play with any toy she gives her as it would make the both of them equally as happy.

“Yes she does. Normally I’d be happy about it because it means I can get to work and not have to rush round but she’s going to put up some fight if it means she can’t hang out with you.” She offers me that child-like laugh again and I can’t help but feel a sense of pride knowing that I’ve made her that happy. She really is beautiful when she laughs.

“Ah that’s a shame. And it’s quite late in the evening now. Would it best to stay here then, rather than go out and do something?”