chapter seven: skylar hudson

Third update!!!! Kind of a filler, but... enjoy!!!

*Sophie POV* 

"So who's the girl that we met last Friday?" I ask as Linh and I walk to the cafeteria. 

"Why?"

"I don't know. I guess I'm just curious."

"Okay. Where should I start... I don't know her too well, but I do know a few of her quirks," I open the door to the lunchroom as Linh continues to speak, "she always carries around a deck of cards, a book by J.R.R. Tolkien, and a math book; this year it's Algebra II. Skylar is prepared for everything, and never leaves home without pepper spray. She also got recruited for Cross Country and plays soccer, I heard she's going to try out for Varsity! Oh! And when she doesn't have PE or sports, she always wears a navy blazer."

"Looks like you do know a lot about her."

"No, I just see her a lot thanks to her brother."

"That makes sense."

"Yeah," we walk over to where the crew (excluding the Vackers and Keefe) is sitting. 

"Hey guys," Marella greets as we sit down. 

"Hi."

"How's your day so far?" Dex asks.

"Alright! Since I have English with Sophie, we got to walk here together."

"Cool."

"Have any of you seen Marcus?" Tam interrupts, "we have band practice today, and attendance is mandatory."

"Your stupid little geek band?" someone says from behind me. I turn around to see a tall, brown haired girl, flocked by two others, one with dark skin and a blue streak in her hair, and another with amber hair, and cobalt eyes. 

"Pathetic," one says.

"Pitiful," the other adds.

The leader's expressions changes as she turns to face me. "Hi," she says sweetly, "I'm Stina Heks, and I just wanted to say: that shirt is so cute!" she squeals.

"M-" 

"Stina... you should join drama club. You almost fooled me with that fake smile, but if you really want to be like that, you shouldn't be mean to her friends right in front of her."

"Were you just born to interrupt conversations, Sky?" Stina scowls at the girl.

"Please don't call me that, it sounds stupid." *NO OFFENSE TO ANYONE NAMED SKY!!!!*

"Whatever, loser. Girls, let's go," Stina struts away, minions in tow. 

"Sorry about that," Skylar takes an empty seat at the end of the table. 

"How do you talk so confidently to all these people, if you're only a Freshman?" I ask.

"Part of it's my brother, I guess. But I also hate suck ups like her."

"Where's Marcus?" Tam asks.

"Oh! He's at an appointment. He should be back in time for band practice," she adjusts her glasses.

"Are those prescription?" Linh asks.

"No, they're blue light. My teachers are using more technology, so I wear them to class," she straightens her elbow, and a box comes down her sleeve. "Cards anyone?"

"Sure," we all reply in unison. 

"Draw poker?" she asks, shuffling the deck. "We can bet on grapes." She finishes shuffling and pulls out six bags of grapes, "There are twenty in each." Skylar throws them to each of us.

"Can we not gamble?" Linh asks nervously, eyes the grapes suspiciously.

"Of course," she reaches to grab the bags.

"Wait!" Tam stops her from taking his. "Can I eat mine?" 

"Sure," she chuckles. "Okay, let's begin," she deals five cards to each of us. I glance at my hand. Straight flush!!!!! Holy cow! I have a two of hearts, a three of hearts, a four of hearts, a five of hearts, and a six of hearts. 

"I'll take two," Dex says. 

"I'll take one," Marella grabs two cards from the top of the deck.

"I'll take four."

"I'll take one."

It's my turn now. "I'll take none."

"I'll take five," Skylar states confidently, "okay, show us your hands, same order as last."

"Okay, I have a pair of eights."

"I have an ace high."

"I got nothing," Tam slaps his cards down in defeat. 

"Same," Linh models her brother.

"Royal flush," Skylar announces proudly.

"What??!?!" we all stare at her in awe, and she, to our surprise, starts... laughing.

"You guys really think I'm lucky enough to get that?" she produces five aces from her sleeve. "I stacked the deck while you guys were getting your grapes. I just have these," she gestures to her cheat cards, "for backup. If you guys want to learn sleight of hand, I can teach you. Personally I don't like lying, but a joke once in a while can't hurt, right?"

"You little devil child!" Dex's face reddens in fury as he stands. 

"Woah there buddy; this isn't the National Poker Championship," Skylar starts backing away.

"Grrrrr!!!!!" Dex growls as he chases Skylar out of the cafeteria.

"Hopefully they don't get detention."

Did you like it? Have a great day! If there are any mistakes, please excuse them, I didn't have time to edit.