quarantine diaries: sophie

DISCLAIMER:

I know a lot of other stuff happens in the time of quarantine, but as much as I support the Black Lives Matter movement, I'm choosing not to include it in this story because:

1. This would never happen in the Lost Cities.

2. I want to keep this as lighthearted as possible, I only added COVID for a plot point to happen.

PLEASE HELP ME OUT HERE! IF YOU GUYS KNOW ANY LEGIT, I'M TALKING LEGIT, PETITIONS (THAT YOU KNOW ARE SAFE) FOR ANY MOVEMENT (I PRACTICALLY SUPPORT THEM ALL) PLEASE LINK THEM IN THE COMMENTS! I wanted to sign a few, but then I got a little scared because the site will have my information, yada yada yada... so PLEASE link any petitions for the BLM movement in the comments!

Thank you for understanding, enjoy!

Day One:

First day not at school. I'm having a great time, in case you were wondering,

I pause my writing. 

Too sassy. 

I delete the line and start again. 

Hello,

"Okay, that's just stupid," I delete again. "Why is this so hard?" I groan, leaning back in my chair and covering my eyes with the back of my hand. "Is this what writers block feels like?"

I stagger out of my desk chair and throw the door open. "What's up, kiddo?" Grady, (who was walking by) asks.

"I promised I would write about my quarantine, but I can't figure out what to say," I whine.

"You can't write about doing nothing. Silveny needs brushed, could you do that for me?" Grady walks past. 

"Sure!" I rush down the stairs and fly out the door, running to the stables and grabbing the worn brush. "Hey, girl," I run the brush down her torso. "Oh my gosh, I can talk about my online 'Little Women' book club! It's brilliant!" I tell the horse (don't judge me, geez). "I can't believe I'm saying this, but I miss people... NO, SOPHIE, IT IS TOO EARLY FOR YOU TO BE CRAZY AND MISS SOCIAL INTERACTION!" I slap myself (lightly). Silveny neighs, and nuzzles her snout in my palm. I smile and rub her mane. "You always know how to make me happy," I give her one last kiss and head back inside, dropping off the supplies on my way.

"Sophie!" Edaline waves a towel from the back door. "Breakfast is ready!" 

"Coming!" I run back (avoiding that nasty tree root) and head straight to the bathroom. "I'll be out in a minute," I dip back into the room, locking the door behind me. When I sit down to (okay, I don't have to elaborate) I see red. 

Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh!!!!!! Crap. Now I have to deal with this once a month! Thanks a lot, reproductive system, now I have to suffer in complete you-know-where!

"Fudge."

"Hey! Everything alright in there?" Grady rapps on the door. 

"Yeah, yeah, just had a little... incident," I cringe.

"SOPHIE ELIZABETH FOSTER! I THOUGHT YOU- DON'T TELL ME THAT'S WHAT YOU MEAN!"

"No, Dad, I- I hit my period..."

"Oh my goodness, Grady! Did I just hear what I thought I heard!" Edaline coos. "I've prepared for this! Let me go- I'll be right back," a squeal fades away. 

"Women," Grady mutters. There's a squeak. "Ah, shoot! EDA!" he hollers, "I thought you got the things for the chairs!" 

"I did! I thought you put them on!" she hollers back.