SEVENTEEN

11th March

The wine festival, the hill festival, the festival of lights and new beginnings, the festival to mark the beginning of spring. It went by many names and didn't quite have any history on why it ever started. But as years went by, it became a tradition for the people of the hill. It was the time of the year to celebrate new beginnings, to share the liveliness amongst themselves by laughing, dancing and singing together. Because the celebrations lasted all evening until dinner, it earned the cute little title 'Sweet Night' amongst the locals.

Now Jungkook did not know about 'Sweet Night'. He had been to the event once, with Ethan's family, back in tenth grade, but it wasn't as though he remembered most of it. His attention was elsewhere when it should have been on the festivities. He regretted not paying attention back then, he had to learn everything from scratch because he did not want to disappoint Taehyung.

So there he was, researching, wracking his brain, taking notes to make sure everything would be flawless. And if the internet wasn't enough, he reached out to the man who was born and raised in the hills, the one who probably had been to almost every 'Sweet Night' from his time.

"Wait, there's a dance?"

"Oh, yes, there is!" Jungkook's father exclaimed, talking to his son on the phone. "It's quite special for the hill folk."

"Please don't tell me that I have to as well." Jungkook groaned out. He wasn't a fan of dancing.

"Of course you have to!" his father laughed. "You know, that was how your mother and I met! She and I were coincidental dance partners and-"

"And she fell for you and wouldn't stop trying to talk to you for the rest of the night. Yes, I know, dad." Jungkook smiled warmly. "You've told this story at the dining table about fifty times, not including the times you mentioned it when I was still in middle school."

"Well, I'm just saying. But I'm warning you, you'll be dragged to dance no matter what happens, so there isn't any way out of it. The hill folk don't leave anyone out."

"Okay, let's forget about that. I'll come up with something." he hummed a little, tapping his pen on a small notepad where he was taking notes. "Anything else I must know?"

"Nothing that strikes me at the moment- oh wait! The flowers!"

"The flowers?"

"You see, Kookie, families give each other flowers on this occasion. It's a tradition to show your gratitude and happiness. Though, no one knows why it started."

"Okay...." Jungkook nodded his head slowly as he sunk back into his bed's mattress. "And you're trying to tell me that-"

"That you can bring the flowers tomorrow!"

"Wait wait..." he sat up straight and stared at his sheets."You want me to get flowers, dad?"

"Well, yes!" his father replied. "The Kims invited us, so it only makes sense that we get the flowers in return for Taehyung's kind invitation. Also, it's not every year we get to go to Sweet Night."

"We never go, dad."

"Yes, except that one time with the Davis family back then-"

"Yeah, dad...I-I know." he cut him off on purpose. "Anyway, flowers. Why can't you get them?"

"Well, you live in the city and us, here, in the village."

"But Mom's here too, right? For the restaurants? She's way better at picking flowers than me! Besides, won't you get fresher and cheaper flowers at the village local stores?"