THIRTEEN

An unknown date, about five or six years ago.

Tie around the collar, blazer on his shoulders, socks on his feet, and a bright smile on his face, and thus, a sixteen year old Jungkook was getting ready for his first day in his second year of high school.

He stood in front of the mirror in his room, setting his hair to one side with his palms. Swooping them to the right, to create his look.

"Great." he said to himself, as he gave a satisfied grin in the mirror.

"JUNGKOOKIE!" his mother's voice yelled from downstairs. "HURRY UP! ETHAN IS HERE!"

Jungkook's attention snitched. "COMING!" he replied back and quickly plunged to grab his backpack.

He ran down the stairs, where his mother waited at the end with a plate of citron jam sandwiches.

"What took you so long?" she frowned at him.

"Uh-"

"Was it because of your hair?" she pointed at his head with her free hand and gave a teasing smile.

"What?" he touched his head, embarrassed. "N-no!"

She puffed a laugh. There wasn't any need for her to confirm anything, she knew her son.

Mrs. Jeon followed Jungkook to the door. "Kookie, eat this first."

"No, mom! I'm getting late." he nudged the plate slightly.

"Jeon Jungkook." she glared at him.

Jungkook sighed and grabbed two sandwiches. "See? Fine now?"

His mother pursed her lips and gave a content smile. "Yes, it is. Now hurry up and go!" she pat his back a few times. "You both will miss the bus otherwise!"

"Yeah, alright." he nodded. "Bye, mom!" he opened the door to see a boy, just about his height, standing by the porch.

The short haired boy turned back at him and looked at his watch. "Shall we go, Jungkook?"

Jungkook nodded his head nervously, trying hard to resist cracking into a smile.

"You two have a good day at school!" Jungkook's mother waved.

"You too, auntie! Have a good day!" Ethan waved back, as the two made their way to the bus stop.

"Here." Jungkook handed him one of the sandwiches.

"Thanks." Ethan plucked the bread from him. "Okay, lemme guess.....plum?"

"Nope."

"Strawberry?"

"Na uh."

Ethan quickly gave up and took a bite. "Ahhh! Citoun-?" he spoke, while chewing on the chunk of jam and bread he bit off.

"Yes, Citron! Don't speak with your mouth open!" Jungkook laughed. "You're gonna drop that!"

"No, I won't!"

A horn sounded from in front of them, it was their bus.

"Race you?" Ethan looked at Jungkook.

"I'll win."

"Oh yeah?" he raised his eyebrow. "Bet it on lunch? Loser buys for the winner?"

"Deal."

And they ran. Sandwiches in their hands, ties flying past their necks and Jungkook's perfectly set hair getting messed up by the wind, all for having a slim chance of saving their lunch money.