Chapter 9 - Draco's Big Break

As Draco walked into the clinic that day, he could feel that all eyes were staring at him and his battered appearance. "Malfoy!" A voice called behind him, it was Cho Chang, his boss. "Why are you late?" She asked, taking in Malfoy's black eye, "and what happened to your eye." 

"Marriage Law" He grumbled, pitting his hand up to his eye.

"Well, on a happier note," Cho said, her voice saddened, she and her boyfriend had been forced to split up by the Marriage Law, despite Cho being 3 months pregnant. "You're working with me today." 

Malfoy looked startled. Cho worked upstairs with the most interesting cases. "Really?" He asked, trying to rid himself of any excitement he may have, he had already been tricked by McLaggen about this too many times. 

"Yes Malfoy, I think it's time you advanced, you've been down here for too long and quite honestly you're too good of a healer to go to waste." Cho replied, and then she started walking to the lift. "Are you coming or not?"

Malfoy smiled an actual genuine smile and nodded as he ran to catch the lift. Finally he thought my big break!

And as he walked out and stood with Cho among the most complicated magical injuries, he could feel McLaggen's eyes boring into his back with jealousy. 

That night he got home to an owl scratching at the window, his head was full of excitement and happiness, at the end of his shift Cho had told him to come back tomorrow and he would be officially promoted. He took the letter from the owl humming a cheerful tune and paid it its money and proceeded to sit down on his chair, maybe life wasn't so bad after all?

But his mood quickly turned when he opened the letter;

Dear Mr D Malfoy,

As promised after your initial meeting with your partner we have organised the date for the wedding. This is non-negotiable and we hope that afterwards you and your partner will be able to begin your life together and bring a child into the world within the year after Christmas. After the wedding you must live with your spouse and we are placing a spell on the two of you, so that you cannot not sleep in the same bed.

Here is the date of your wedding, 

1st December 1998

it will take place at the ministry and will be an elopement, if you would prefer a ceremony you still have to attend and elope, and then have the ceremony at a later date. For this ceremony you may bring 2 guests each along with any parents. 

The ministry thanks you for your cooperation,

Hannah Abbot.

He looked at the date again, the first of December was only a week away.