CHAPTER 26 - WANTING SAFETY

It was definitely cold outside. Kei tugged Haruka’s body in a blanket. There was nothing much inside that room, just a bed, and a cabinet. After travelling the whole night, they finally settled in.

In was a huge house, smaller than the mansion though. When he first saw it, he thought that it was just an old, weather-beaten house but what amazed him were the underground rooms.

Jhenie told them that it was a long abandoned ancestral house. She had known the owner a long time ago. It was a safe place for them to stay for a while.  

He took a sit on the floor beside the bed and stared at the ceiling. He hadn’t been much help to the others. He even wondered about his family. Were they looking for him? He didn’t know how Kota covered for him.

“Kei-nii.”

Kei looked up. It was Ryosuke. He looked at his younger co-member who also slumped down.

“What happened?” he asked.

“I just want peace and quiet.” The younger one answered. “I’m tired.”

“Did you just came?”

“Hai. All those stirrings are not good for my skin. The hunters are on the go. We made sure that the vampires stay here where it is safe. With the other clan on the loose and the council looking for them, it is just a huge chaos out there.”

“I’m sorry.” Kei said sadly.

“Huh?”

“For not being able to help.”

Ryosuke shook his head. “Haruka needs you. You shouldn’t leave her side.”

Kei smiled and nodded.

Ryosuke looked at his watch. “Gotta go.” The younger one said and stood up.

IT WAS pretty dark outside. The chill of the snowstorm lingered on the cold night. Kota and the rest were searching for survivors and victims of the sudden attack.

Though the morning is promising some sunlight, he could still feel the eerie at moment.

“There is a civilian here!” Yuya said not far from him.

“Don’t touch him.” Another voice commanded. Yuya bowed as the owner came nearer.

Kota, on the other hand was taken aback.

The owner of the voice checked the pulse of the man sprawled on the snow. Patches of blood was everywhere. Kota swallowed the lump that formed in his throat. He had seen a lot already but dead bodies cover in blood sure freaks him out every time. How could a person be able to get used to such a dreadful scene?