fourteen

Nini can't lie, she's nervous about seeing Ricky again. She's afraid it'll be awkward since their last interaction consisted of an apology and what she hopes was a compliment.

What did he mean when he said the baggy shirt was a good look on her? Did he think it was cute? Or did he just think she should cover up?

Nini doesn't know. Ricky confuses her.

Nini shakes her head in attempt to clear her thoughts.

"What, Ni?" Gina asks, looking up from her manicure when she notices the head shake.

Nini had forgotten anyone was with her. She has to remind herself she's back at Gina's house, the same place she got ready for the party celebrating EJ.

"Oh, sorry. I was just thinking." Nini fidgets with her fingers.

"About what?" Gina presses.

"It's really nothing. Just one of the football boys." Nini tries to shrug it off.

Gina doesn't think much of it. It doesn't sound enough like gossip for her. "Speaking of the football boys, I'm probably hooking up with Grant again at the party this weekend."

"Oh! Is that going somewhere?" Nini asks.

"Probably not. He doesn't seem like the relationship type." Gina looks back down at her manicure boredly. "Besides, why would I want a relationship with a guy that goes by his last name? I don't think I even know his first name."

"Hayden," Nini tells her. "He ran for class president junior year and his campaign slogan was 'Hay, den't see you there! Vote Hayden Grant for presi-dant!'" Nini smiles softly at the sheer ridiculousness of it.

"I'm surprised you even heard about anything last year with how much school you missed," Gina butts in.

That statement feels like a jab to Nini.

She bites the inside of her cheek.

Gina doesn't seem to notice the sudden change in the mood. "Anyway, you should probably head home soon. Danny from the swim team is coming over to tutor me."

Nini nods, gathering her things and heading out the door.

Nini is aware that Gina isn't the best friend. She isn't oblivious. Gina is just the one person on the cheer team that seems to want to hang out with her outside of school, and Nini knows she needs a friend on the cheer team to back her.

~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~

more mean gina ✨✨ i promise she only gets worse <3

-jenna