fifty eight

Nini wasn't expecting to get a text from Ashlyn today — or any day, really.

Yet, here she is, sitting next to Ricky and feeling very confused.

Ashlyn
I'm so sorry for everything you went through without me. I thought you were okay with Gina. I never would have backed away if I thought you still wanted me there. Thank you for defending me today

"Woah," Nini whispers at her breath.

"What?" Ricky asks, concerned.

"Ashlyn, she, um... She texted me."

"She did?" Ricky furrows his eyebrows.

"Yeah." Nini stares blankly at her screen.

"What did she say?"

"She apologized... And thanked me."

"Oh..." Ricky trails off. "That's good, right?"

Nini blinks hard a few times. "Yeah. Good."

"It doesn't have to be all good," Ricky mentions. "It can be confusing and upsetting and any other feeling too."

"It's just... We haven't talked," Nini starts. "Since I was hospitalized last year. This is the first time she's reached out."

Ricky stays silent for a moment. "That's big."

Nini breathes out heavily. "Yeah."

"What are you going to do?"

Nini bites the inside of her cheek. "I don't know. We should probably talk in person."

Ricky nods.

"I know you've become friends with her," Nini mentions. "And that's okay, I just want you to know that. You can talk about her to me if you ever want to."

"I know, Neens." Ricky puts his arm around her and squeezes. "I can see why you both used to be so close."

Nini looks over and up at him. "How do you mean?"

"She's very passionate, and she cares a lot about the people she loves, just like you. If you're on her good side, you're on her very good side, but if you do something to someone she cares about, you're done for. She's protective. She thought she was protecting you."

"Does she talk about me?" Nini furrows her eyebrows.

"More than she'd want me to tell you."

Nini smiles softly. "I miss her."

"Tell her that," Ricky suggests.

Nini looks back at her phone, leaning farther into Ricky. His presence is comforting to her.

"Thank you for being here for me," Nini says quietly, resting her head on his chest.

"Of course, Neens."

"You'd tell me if you needed anything, right?"

When Ricky doesn't respond, Nini looks up at him.

"Hey, what's up?" She sits up, trying to make eye contact.

Ricky shrugs, looking off into the distance.

"How is your dad?"

Ricky makes a face.

"Had a feeling."

Nini takes his hand in hers, leaning back into him.

Ricky squeezes her hand, and it tells her all she needs to know.

~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~

bye i literally vibe so hard with rini rn

too bad everything is so chaotic :/

-jenna