Chapter 8

(at 5 years old)

                                ~No one's P.O.V.~

        Jessie's eyes flickered open when a ray of light shined on her eyes.  It had been two years since she and Mizula made the deal, and she had practically mastered Water Dragon Slayer magic.  "Good morning Mizula," she muttered sleepily as she rubbed her eyes, but she heard no response.  "Mizula?"  Jessie sat up and realized that Mizula wasn't there.  "Mizula!" She was starting to get scared, so she stood up and searched the entire forest for her dragon.  "Mizula!  This isn't funny anymore!" Jessie shouted across the empty forest, but still no answer came.  She searched for a long time, even when the moon was high in the pitch black sky.  Even though her feet were tired, she refused to give up.  'Mizula...where did you go?'

                                (Timeskip-1 week later)

        "Mizula!  Mizula!!" Jessie yelled into the empty sky, no answer returning.  She searched nonstop for her dragon, but she was still no where in sight.  "Mizula...please come back!" she sobbed.  Even though it had already been a week, her heart still was in a million pieces.  "Mizula.."  Suddenly a very faint yet familiar smell wafted to her nose.  'That smell...it's a dragon's!!'  Her small feet started glowing a golden yellow and she raced towards the smell with great speed.  She raced across hills and villages, and within a couple seconds, the smell led her into a forest.  Her feet stopped glowing and she carefully walked into the forest.  She slowly followed the dragon-like scent, trying not to trip on random roots on the floors.  Sadly, she failed, and tripped on what seemed like a huge white rock with purple streaks on it.  "O-ow.." Jessie said while rubbing her head.  She stood up and was about the kick the huge rock when she realized it was odd-shaped.  She picked it up and examined it more closely.  Her eyes widened when she realized that it wasn't a rock, but an egg!  "Ah!  I'm so sorry eggy!" she said, wiping her shoe's scuff marks on the egg.  When she was done, she squeezed it tight.  "Why're you alone here in the forest?" she asked the egg, not expecting any answer.  A sad smile creeped onto her lips as she remembered her normal childhood life before she had to grow up...  "I'm going to take care of you, I promise.." she said as she touched the mark that was on the egg.  She wrapped her arms around the egg and continued walking towards the dragon like smell.

                               ~Jessie's P.O.V.~

"Erg.  I'm hungry," I heard a voice say.  I started running towards the source of the voice. What I found was a little girl and a tiny gray cat.  I watched the little girl trip and let go of the cat, who in which started to cry.  Wait, cry?!  "I'm sorry Luna!  I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry!" The girl cried.  She then looked up and saw me.  "W-who are you?" she stuttered, glancing at the egg I was holding.

        "My name's Jessie.  Who are you?" I asked, brushing an annoying piece of my black hair away.

        "My name's Arina.  And that's my buddy Luna, she hatched out of those eggs," she answered, pointing to the gray cat on her head and then the egg I was holding.  Huh, so one of a cat is going to hatch out of this egg.  How kawaii~!

        "You have pretty fair Arina," I smiled, trying to release a bit of tension.

        "What do you mean?  This old blonde thing?" she asked, tugging at her bangs.

        "Well, the bangs are blonde...and some blakc pieces are blonde, but the rest is all black, so I'm just saying it's pretty," I grinned.

        "Yours it too--" she paused.  "Wait.." She started sniffing the air.  "You smell like a dragon.  Are you a dragon!?" My eyes widened.  Was she a Dragon Slayer like me?  And how can a dragon be a human?  I sniffed the air as well and realized that the dragon smell was from her!

        "Well, so do you..." I said suspiciously, then I realized that she might know something about Mizula!  "Do you know a dragon named Mizula?" I asked hopefully.  Sadly, she shook her head.

        "Do you know any dragons named Luuacha or Kastellia?" she asked.  I shook my head.  

        'So she is a Dragon Slayer!'  I sighed.

        "She just dissapeared about--"

        "A week ago?  Yeah I know," she finished for me.  Wait, how did she know it was a week?  Did her dragons dissapear the same time mine did??  I thought about an idea for a second.  

        "Hey Arina, do you wanna join me in searching for our dragons?" I asked, holding my hand out.  She was probably the same age as me, so why not?  She hesitated at first, but took it and hugged her cat.  I saw a sad smile on her face for a second before it turned into a warm smile.

        "As long as I can help you take care of the egg," she said.  I smiled at her, set the egg down, and gave her a hug.

        "We have a deal!" I grinned, and with that, we locked arms and headed out of the village.