Chapter 10

~No one's P.O.V.~

        A couple minutes after walking, Jessie had arrived at their campsite. The thieves led their captor into a small tent. "You sleep here, and no funny business," the leader growled, but Jessie didn't say anything.

        'This is just another example of why I shouldn't get too close to anyone...' she thought in her mind, her hair covering her eyes. It would be morning soon, and Arina would wake up to see that she was gone, probably making her angry at her, just like Hornet..

        "Hey, kid!" the leader growled. Jessie slightly glanced at him. "I said hey!" When Jessie still didn't respond, the leader punched her in the chest. Jessie flew back and slammed into a tree from the immense force. Of course it hurt, but Jessie didn't care.

        'I've done so much harm to the people I love...' she thought sadly. 'Maybe...if I didn't come close to anyone....that would be better?' Just then the leader came up to her and picked her up.

        "Respond to me when you're speaken to, you got it?" he said through gritted teeth. Jessie just nodded and he let go.

        "Boss, can we eat the egg yet?" whined one of the other thieves. Jessie immediately snapped back to reality. The leader noticed this and smirked.

        "Oh, still want your eggy do you?" he mocked. Jessie quickly nodded. "Tch, give the girl the egg." The thief groaned but gave Jessie her egg. When she got it, she squeezed it tight, but didn't realize how warm it was.

        'If I do have to not be close to anyone, then you'd be the only one I'll trust..' Jessie thought as she hugged the egg. 'And I promise, I'm going to get you out of here.'

        "Now get in your tent brat," the leader growled. In her mind Jessie stuck her tongue out at him, but knowing that would earn her another punch, she obeyed and slipped into the tent. "No funny stuff or the egg gets it, alright?" Jessie nodded. Sastified, the leader zipped up her tent and locked it with some very easy locking spell. Tired, Jessie laid down, still hugging the egg.

        'I'll escape from here when they're asleep.' And with that, Jessie closed her eyes and drifted off to sleep.

        A couple hours later though, Jessie was awoken by a glowing light. Jessie slowly opened her eyes to see the egg glowing. All drowsiness immediately left her body when she realized that the thieves might wake up from this light. She quickly use a blanket that had been in the tent to cover the egg and disarmed the locking spell. She then peaked outside. When she was sure the thieves that were guarding her tent was asleep she slipped out of the tent with the egg and ran as fast as she could into the forest near her. When she thought she was at a safe distance, she uncovered the egg. Jessie watched it glow a golden light and start to float in mid-air. After a couple seconds, the egg bursted and a tiny magenta-colored cat was revealed. The tiny cat floated down onto Jessie's hands.

        "Oka-san?" The tiny cat murmured when it opened its eyes. Jessie smiled out of pure joy.

        "Ah, no, my name's Jessie," Jessie giggled as she felt the tiny cat's soft fur in her hands.

        "Jess?" the cat repeated, not being able to pronounce the "ie".

        "Um, close, it's Jessie," she repeated.

        "Jess! Jess!" the cat giggled. Tiny angelic wings sprouted on the cat's back and she flew around Jessie's head. "Jess! Jess!"

        "Jessie!" said Jessie, puffing out her cheeks. The cat bursted into laughter, and Jessie giggled along. "Hmm, I think I'm going to name you...Lexi," Jessie grinned, noticing that the cat had a very squeaky girl voice.

        "Lexi! Lexi!" she giggled.

        "FIND HER!! SHE COULDN'T HAVE GONE FAR!!!" Jessie's eyes widened when she heard the leader's voice close to her.

        "Who is that Jess?" Lexi asked curiously. I quickly grabbed her and started to run. "J-Jess?!"

        "HEY BOSS, I HEARD HER!! SHE'S THIS WAY!!"

        "J-Jess, why are we--"

        "No time just RUN!" Jessie said as her feet started glowing.  She ran with lightning speed, hoping that she could outrun the thieves, but they had magic too. Apparently one of the thieves knew speed magic too, because Jessie saw a glimpse of him. She tried to run faster, but that was as fast as she could go. Suddenly tranquilizers started passing by Jessie. She quickly took a glimpse behind her to see the thief throwing some kind of needle at her. She tried her best to dodge all of them, but one of them pierced her neck. She could feel the foreign liquid enter her body, but she forced herself to keep running. "WATER FLOOR!" Jessie yelled, making the turn into water. She didn't look back as she heard three splashes. After a couple minutes of running, her magic wore off.

        "Jess, are you okay?" Lexi asked.

        "I-I'm fine Lexi," Jessie panted, but the world around her started turning blurry and the ground started wobbling. Before she knew it her legs buckled beneath her and she collapsed onto the ground.

        "Jess!" Lexi cried, but unable to keep herself awake, Jessie closed her eyes.