Chapter 7

~No one's P.O.V.~

        Jessie slowly opened her eyes and saw the blue sky.  "W-where am I..?" she whispered to herself.  Everywhere in her small body ached, and she was still shivering.  "W-what happened..?"  Just then she remembered.  She had jumped off a cliff and into a freezing cold river, and because she couldn't swim, supposedly drowned, but if she did, how was she here?

        "Awake child?" said a booming female voice.  Jessie tried to get up, but her arm buckled and she fell flat on the floor.  She felt really weak and just plain awful, and she hated feeling like it.  It made her feel vulnerable.  She tried getting up again, but failed.  "Persistent are we?" chuckled the voice again.  It sounded calming and pleasant, yet was very loud.

        "Who are you?" Jessie dared to ask.  She used up all her energy to sit up and rest on a nearby tree stump.  She couldn't believe what she saw when her eyes met onto the source of the voice.  A huge dragon covered with aqua blue scales looked at the small three year old girl with its dark blue eyes.  Its underbelly was a sand-colored.

        "I am Mizula, the Water Dragon," she bellowed.

        "W-why am I here?" Jessie asked before having a fit of coughs.

        "I found you in the river and rescued you," Mizula answered, "and it seems you've caught a fever from being in the cold water too long.."

        'Well that explains why I feel terrible..' thought Jessie as she shivered.  The dragon noticed this and curled her tail around Jessie.  At first she was scared, but slowly cuddled into its surprising warmth.  It felt like a warm blanket wrapped around her.

        "So tell me child, what were you doing in the river?" she asked.

        "I was running away..." Jessie answered slowly, remembering the warm blood that had been on her hands.  She looked at her arms now, which were clean.

        "From what?"

        "From...a dark guild."  Tears started to spill from her eyes as Hornet's surprised face flashed in her mind.

        "J-Jessie, w-why..?"  When she heard his voice in her head she bursted into tears.  Hornet had been her only friend, no, family since she was kidnapped, and now he probably hated her.

        "Hey hey, it's alright," Mizula comforted.  She placed her big head next to Jessie.  "No need to cry.."  Just then an idea popped into Mizula's mind, and she waited until Jessie's sob turned into tiny hiccups.  "Hey, how about I teach you magic?"  Jessie imediately stopped hiccuping when she heard the word "magic".

        "W-what kind of magic?" she asked, already knowing the answer.  She had read books about the fabled magic taught to humans from dragons.

        "Dragon Slayer magic," Mizula answered with a warm smile.  Jessie would've jumped up and hugged her, but barely having any energy to stay awake, she just weakly smiled.

        "I'd love that," Jessie grinned.

        "Well then, you should get some sleep; we'll start learning it when you feel better."  Jessie nuzzled Mizula's tail.

        "It's a deal," she murmured before happily drifting off to sleep.