\8\

"What are you doing here?" I turned my head to see Draal entering the Heroes Forge. Jim made sure to properly introduce me to the others so I knew who he was. He helps train Jim and keeps him safe.

"Homework." I gestured to the Math notebook in front of me. I was going through notes when he came in. "Jims with the previous Trollhunters right now. I just thought I'd spend this free time to get my work done." I explained.

"Ah, I see." He stood behind me, looking over my shoulder as I wrote down some new notes. "What is this anyway?" He asked.

"Algebra. My least favorite subject." I sighed tiredly. "I have a test in two days so I have to make sure I'm ready for it." Then an idea came to mind. "Hey, do you think you can help me with something?"

"What is it?" I then handed him my flashcards. I explained to him what to do and he helped me study. It was fairly easy for him since all he had to do was say what was on the cards. I was finding it difficult to focus though as my eyelids grew heavier. "You seem tired." Draal pointed out.

I yawned, "Yeah. I know. But I have to study or I'll fail this first semester." I said as I yawned once more. "I... can't afford to... fail again..." I trailed off as my eyes drifted shut.

(3rd Person POV)

Draal was going to wake her back up but stopped when Jim suddenly reappeared. Jim and Draal spoke for a bit before Argh ran into the room. Jim was about to go find Blinky but he stopped when he realized Annabelle was fast asleep on the floor. So he asked Argh to carry her, not wanting to wake her up.

Argh picked Annabelle up and put her on his back and they headed to Blinky. "How long has he been like this?" Jim asked when they got there, referring to Blinky who was pacing around the room and muttering to himself.

"Long time." Arg answered.

"Maybe you should switch to decaf." Jim half-joked. Blinky then went on about how he found a way to kill Gunmar. Then he announced that he was going to burn the only book that could give them answers.

They all gasped and tried to stop him but in the end, it burned. They then found a clue in the ashes. As they were all trying to figure it out, none of them noticed Annabelle finally stir from her sleep.

(Back to Anna POV)

I got confused when I felt fur under my hands when I woke. Soon I realized I was laying on Argh. I didn't bother moving though, his fur was so soft. They were all talking about something but I wasn't listening. Is it weird that I love laying here?

Without realizing I closed my eyes and nuzzled my head against his fur. I didn't think he noticed. After another five minutes or so I finally decided to climb off of him.

"What's going on?" I asked, rubbing my tired eyes as I walked up to the others. Jim then explained that they may have found a way to kill Gunmar. I congratulated them then we all got ready to leave.

We rode to Claire's house and she went home. Argh had taken Toby home so it was just Jim and me. We got home and I froze when I heard mom's angered voice.

Jim turned to me. "Go to bed, you need your rest. I'll deal with mom." Jim smiled, but behind that smile, I knew he was upset. He wanted to tell her the truth. And now I understand why. It's hard to keep lying to her when we live under her roof.

I nodded my head and gave him a thankful smile before racing up the stairs to my room. I sat down at my desk and took out my Math notebook. I know Jim thinks I'm heading to bed but I need to keep studying.

At some point, I heard yelling and a door slam, but I tried to ignore it. It's not that I don't want to help solve this family issue. It's just that... arguments like these just remind me of my birth family.

I started nodding off twenty minutes later. So I decided it was time to head to bed. Before I did I noticed Argh in Toby's window. I waved out my window and he smiled before waving back.

I chuckled to myself, then I caught a glimpse of something moving on Toby's rooftop. I squinted my eyes to see better but there was nothing there. I shrugged it off before turning out the lights then heading to bed.

The next morning I woke up late. Jim had made breakfast. Barbara refused to eat with us and took her food to her room. At least she wasn't giving us the silent treatment. Then Jim and I left for school. Obviously, Toby joined us for the ride there. Claire joined us as well which was new.

After the first period, there was another assembly for the competition. So, after class, everyone headed to the gym. Accept for me. There was still time so I decided to go rest my eyes for a bit. I went out to the field and sat by the wall of the school. My eyes drifted shut and I dozed off for a bit.

The loudspeaker above me startled me awake. "Two minutes till the assembly begins!" Coach's voice shouted through the speaker. I groaned and stood up, but that's when Jim came around the corner.

"Hey, was there someone else out here?" He asked. I shrugged my shoulders. "I could have sworn I saw a Troll..." Jim trailed off as he walked to the center of the field. I followed him, wondering what he was going on about.

Suddenly there was a loud rumble and we both turned to see a giant monster coming out of the ground. It looked like it was made of dirt, mud, and grass.

Jim and I quickly jumped out of the way. Jim then drew its attention by talking to it while I headed back toward the school. I didn't want to just leave him on his own. But unlike him, I can't fight anything. I don't have a weapon or any training.

Next thing I know the mud monster turns and swings at me. I try to jump out of the way but I'm not fast enough. Its arm hits me, feeling more like a solid rock rather than mud, and I go flying toward the other end of the field.

I tumble on the ground before finally coming to a stop. I groaned in pain as my vision went blurry. Shit. That really hurt.

Some time passed and luckily for me, the monster focused back on Jim instead of attacking me again. Jim managed to defeat it and he ran my way. "Anna! Oh my God, are you alright?" He asked as he knelt beside me.

He helped me sit up and I took a shaky breath. "Y-Yeah. I'll be fine." I looked toward the field where the mud monster was now replaced by a mound of dirt. "What was that?"

"I don't know." He held out his hand then helped me stand up. "But I'm gonna find out."

"We should probably get back inside before someone wonders where we are."

"Yeah-- oh shoot!" Jim gasped. "I forgot to make a costume!"

After that, we both headed to the gym. I snuck in while everyone was distracted by Jim, and I stayed in the back far behind Toby and Claire. Everyone thought Jim's theme was Mole Mania because he was covered in mud from the fight.

It worked out for him though since he didn't have to explain to the whole school why he was actually muddy, plus, he didn't have a costume or theme before.

My attention was brought back to Coach Lawrence who took the mic. "The principal has taken an indefinite leave of absence. We wish him well. But he sent an e-mail recommending an interim replacement, which we all support." Coach Lawrence said in a tone that made it seem like he didn't really care, which wasn't surprising. "Please welcome Principal Strickler!"

Strickler came through the door. I didn't know him long but he used to be a teacher here. Jim had told me about his true nature though. That he was actually a changeling that can change from Troll to human. Which I personally think is awesome and I wish I could do that... Anyway, we were all shocked as he entered the gymnasium.

Before his speech, he turned his head and looked our way. His eyes glowed red before going back to normal. He then turned back to the other students. "I'm very glad to be back and excited to get started. But let it be known, with me in charge," My eyes widened at the realization. "Things are going to change."

Welp... We're in a lot of shit now.

-Once again I didn't do much with this chapter other than editing it and correcting mistakes. Hope you guys enjoy it anyway.