Heindsight

(Rechelle's PoV)

I remember one summer day during 2008, mommy had just got off work and we went to the park. We arrived at the play set and my mom let me go play.

I ran to the swings as fast as my 7 year old feet would carry me. I swung for ages until another boy about my age came and started swinging with me, mommy rushed over and dragged me off, "we don't play with those people Rechelle. They're not rich." She muttered to me. I started crying the boy had seemed nice and I wanted to talk to him. Mommy did this a lot at the park. I didn't know what the big deal was.

Why couldn't I play with that boy? Was it because his clothes looked a little old or he looked a little thin? That wasn't his fault.

Next on my 10th birthday I learned why we are better than other people. It was May 15, and we went on a plane to an island we owned of the coast of Hawaii. We were flying first class as usual and I asked my mom, "why are we better than them?" She replied, "We are better than them because we can afford big houses and islands and big vacations. They can't and hate us for it."

Why did they hate us? We spent our money! From that day on i hated every kid that was poor.

▪️▫️▪️▫️▪️

I still ate with the group even though I hated them, I didn't want it to look like anything was wrong so I continued.

Jess sighs at our lunch table, "Allen is actually on probation." She doesn't eat and just pushes her food around. "Why?" Timothy asks, unaware. Reneigh is trying to hide a smile from her face, "he was the one who spray painted on the side of the school." Jess states dropping into tears. "I thought we were immune!" Timothy states stabbing the styrofoam lunch tray. "There's a limit to that." Alice says. Timothy oddly looses his appetite pushing his tray to the side. Alice sighs and picks it up, throwing away the tray with hers. "What?" I ask, but everyone ignores me. They had been since I got mad at them. They all stand up and leave not bothering to wait for me. Whatever I'd go hangout with Karen.

"Hey." she smiled as I sat down with her lunch group. Kale stood up and walked away. Jerk.

▪️▫️▪️▫️▪️

It was just as fun as when I got to that school. Returning to my spot as top girl, I have even started being better at cheer because my friends support me.

But something still felt wrong.