Page 80 - "Tradition Must Be Followed At All Cost"

Page 80 – “Tradition Must Be Followed At All Cost”

Sinuntok ko ulit ang mukha niya. Saliva and blood mixed and flow from his mouth.

Magpapakawala pa sana ako ng isa nang nabalot ako ng lungkot, “Why? Bakit ikaw? What are you doing here?” This was a cruel joke. “What did the Emperor offer for you to agree into participating?”

I involuntarily flinched when Naoe started tracing my face with his fingers. A sad smile on his face. “I volunteered.”

“What? Sira ulo ka ba?”

“I might be. I went insane without you.”

“Now I'm here,” my voice trembled, “..to kill you.”

“Yes, if I die, let it be by your hands. Saka..” Naoe caressed my cheeks one last time before his hand completely slackened on his side, “I deserve it. I'm so sorry, my Queen. I wasn’t a good King to you. I betrayed your trust.”

Naluha ako, mga luhang pumatak sa mukha niya, umagos pababa sa kaniyang mga pisngi. Naoe's tears started to fall too. Our tears mixing, merging together creating a river of sorrow and regret.

“I forgive you.” Hope shone on his eyes. “But forgiveness doesn’t change a thing.” Naglaho ang pag-asa sa kaniyang mga mata. “We’re over, Naoe. We don’t even have something to begin with in the first place.”

Marahan siyang umiling. “No, my Queen. I had your trust. Three minutes left. Hurry.” Smiling longingly and sadly at me, he added, “End me.”

I place a cuff binding his wrists.

“No need. Can’t you see? I'm not resisting.”

Hindi ko siya pinansin at nagpatuloy lang. This time, I bind his feet using a rope.

We were now sitting. Facing each other. I watched Naoe and remembered what I felt for him before the anger and betrayal.

He was right, we might not have any label but we do trust each other. I felt comfortable with him for I sensed this kinship for he was twisted like me. But both of us didn’t let our negative emotions get the best of us. We strived for ways to manage and control our demons.

And I yearned for his body, for him. Sinubukan ko 'yong itanggi lalo na't I was in a relationship with many men and it wouldn’t be practical to add another.

I couldn’t ask myself if there’s a possibility all of these returning in the future. Sa ngayon, I'm too occupied by my present, too hunted by my past, and to worry about what’s coming ahead might just short-circuit my brain.

But one thing was clear, despite of everything, I don’t want him to die. So I tied Naoe on a tree and when he finally figured out I have no plans of ending his life, nagpumiglas siya, screaming in fear, fear for me, “No! You can’t! His direction is clear! If you don’t kill me, you will never win!”

Mas lalo siyang nagpakawala. “He will be forced to kill you! This is a tradition of his Mafia Famiglia, my Queen!” His voice went beyond hysterical when he screamed, “It’s a pact with another Power Assembly!”

I have no idea what is he talking about but I don’t really care. My decision is final.