Chapter Thirteen

It was 6:30am in the morning,the birds were chirping happily and the sun had crept into the room,the ac was still on,and I was claded in my pajamas, I wanted more sleep but the activities of the day overwhelmed me,traveling abroad looked to me like a dream or fantasy,but it's so real,I had my flight booked at 11:00am,Daniel had suggested yesterday that we have a time together before leaving the shores of the country. I jumped out of bed,brushed my teeth,washed my face and run downstairs. I stood by mom's door waiting to knock when it cracked open
"Hey,mama!Goodmorning"I said and hugged her tightly.
"Morning,my dear!how was your night and how are you??she asked smiling.
"Good good good".i replied full of smiles as I dragged her into the kitchen.
Daniel was already in the kitchen munching on corn flakes soaked in milk.
"Early worm", I teased.
"You gotta know I'd love my bf early "he said.His accent made me laugh,actually he wasn't born and bred in Africa,He had African parents who had traveled abroad,life being so tough for them,they sent him to an orphanage and actually left him there,hopeful that a white man or woman would adopt him.In chasing the nationality of his parents,they are South Africans who lived abroad and didn't have a green card for a permanent stay so they kept hiding from the police,they didn't want their son hiding for the rest of his life so they sent him off to the orphanage,he only spent some few days before a white man and a black lady came to adopt him and the black lady turns out to be my mom,anytime mom came back to the country,she came along with Daniel that's how aunt got to know about him.Daniel has his masters at a young age,he works with big multinational companies as he is a shareholder to 5 and managing as much.We sat in the kitchen laughing and having a hearty conversation about my step dad,mom was really making us laugh pointing out how funny and worrisome dad could be sometimes.After the laughter had died down I asked mom about my dad.She only replied that he had led a reckless life and actually lost everything he has worked for.
"I would like to see him", I said. I was very little and I can't remember what he actually looks like.My heart went out to him .So at 8:30 am I and Daniel made it to Dad's apartment,he was so much alone,the room smelled of alcohol and tobacco,he looked so thin and older than his age,he was slumped in a chair,lost in his own thoughts.
"Dad,it's me,Mariana "I said to get his attention.but he ignored our presence and stayed still as if he couldn't feel our presence in the room."You came to ridicule me after 15 years".he said in a hoarse voice.
"No dad,all this years I have been longing to see you and feel the love of a father,I knew nothing about you or mom". I replied.
"If it's the love of a father you want,I'm sorry it's not found here",he said.
"But dad I....","
"Just leave and stop wasting your time cause your dad is already wasting away".he said cutting me off.
I sobbed so much and I guess it made him more angry and bitter that he lifted his bottle to hit me but Daniel held him by the hand with the bottle and said "Don't you dare"."let's go,Mari"He said and dragged me out of the house with him.
"Mari,you gotta look forward,nay backwards."He said and I nodded affirmatively.We hunged out together and it was the best thing I ever had in a long year,before the time was set for our departure I felt so cool and looked forward to the very best of life.

Alright this chapter was specially made for you,dear reader,thanks for your unfailing love which you showed through your votes and reads,I love you,air kisses 😘.Don't forget to vote for me bby🤗xoxo