7. The Final Days

War raged around us. But no one seemed to notice the two broken girls, just paces away from the Cauldron. The Cauldron's power leaked onto the battlefield, fueling our enemies with power. It was a losing fight, and the only way to stop this was if one of us took over the Cauldron's power, using it to wipe out the enemy.

But none of us High Fae had managed to get this close to it without consequences. Including Ash and myself.

I cradled Ash's battered and broken body in my arms. She was suffering from major injuries. I couldn't tell if the blood staining her clothes and armor was hers or mine or the enemies'. Tears spilled down my face as I stared into her eyes. Her pitiful expression broke my heart and I knew I was on the edge of breaking. She was close to death, but I was slowly giving her my energy. I pressed my forehead to hers, holding her close to me.

"There is still time," she whispered into my ear. "The Cauldron, you can still make it."

"But I'm not powerful enough to control its powers, I'll disintegrate," I said back. Ash smiled up at me. Looking at her I almost knew what she was going to say.

"Together then," she said. I shook my head.

"It'll kill you," I said. "No Ash, no."

Ash put a hand on my cheek. I leaned into her touch, sobbing.

"I'd rather die together then be left in a world without you," she whispered to me. "Rae, we can end this now, our final stand."

I was sobbing but nodded. I put my hand over her and stared into her eyes again.

"Together," I said, pulling her into my arms one last time.

✧ Two Days Earlier ✧

Ash and I were doing some light sparing in the yard behind the manor. We didn't want to use up too much of our energy, but we also didn't want to get rusty. It had been a few days since the last attack, the longest break we've had in a while. We both were on edge, suspecting something big to come. Neither of us voiced our worries, but I knew we were both thinking the same thing. And I didn't have to read Ash's mind to know that. It was apparent in the worried look on her face.

The clash of our swords was the only sound, besides our heavy breaths. Ash thrust and I parried. For once, she was on the offense, instead of her usual defense. I knew this practice was good for her. She was a good swordsman, but by no means excellent. But I was proud of all the progress she had made in just a few weeks.

It was still easy to best her though, even if I did go easy on her. I parried her next move a little too forcefully and knocked the sword from her hand, sending it flying across the yard. We watched it land in the grass, and laughed a little.

"Sorry about that, I got a bit distracted," I said.

"If I'm being honest, I'd say the same about myself," Ash responded. "I know I'm not a great swordswoman, but I usually don't let my sword get knocked from my hands."

She crouched down and picked up her sword, giving it a few good swings before walking across the lawn to the sheath. She sheathed her sword, and turned back to me and grinned.

"What do you say we go in and eat something?" she asked. "I'd say it's high noon now, we've been out here for a few hours since this morning."

I jogged across the lawn to stand next to her, putting my own sword back in its sheath.

"I think that's an excellent idea," I agreed, walking inside with her. She laughed, and it was like the song of angels. I smiled brightly. Not a day goes by where I don't thank the gods for gifting me with such a beautiful and amazing girl.