Chapter 43: The Nosedive (Part 1)

Amity Colosseum

Earlier the Same Day

BOOM

Explosions rocked the entire arena as the battle grew in intensity.

BOOM

With every explosion, however, the crowd cheered louder and louder.

Ruby: Woooo!!! Come on, Yang!!!

Blake: Yeah! Get him!

Sitting in the first row of the audience were the remaining three members of team RWBY who were cheering on their teammate currently in the match.

Weiss: Uhh... yes. Give him what... for?

Ruby instantly shot next to her heiress teammate with a big smile.

Ruby: You have to shout, Weiss! Like this!!

Ruby took in a deep breath.

Ruby: AIM FOR THE CROTCH!!!

Ruby's yell was so loud that even the unending explosions weren't enough to drown them out. In fact, the whole crowd went silent and stared at the young huntress-in-training.

Ruby: Err... I mean... get him... Yang!

Weiss facepalmed as Ruby sank down in her seat.

In the arena, however, Ruby's shout was barely audible to Yang who was in the fight of her life.

Yang: Arrrrgh!! Hold still!!

Mercury chuckled.

Mercury: You know, I expected more from you... but I bet you hear that all the time.

If Mercury's taunts were a spark, Yang's mind was a puddle of gasoline. Or an ocean of gasoline. Long story short, it was working.

Yang bellowed in anger as she used her gauntlets to launch herself at her silver haired opponent.

With a smirk on his face, Mercury jumped in the air as Yang's fiery fist approached him. Using his incredible agility, Mercury managed to put his foot on Yang's fast approaching fist.

The two fighters locked glares for a split-second before an explosion between Yang's fist and Mercury's boot suddenly forced the two apart.

The difference in skill was evident when Mercury launched several rounds from his weaponized boots as he was launched in the air. Yang staggered before being sent tumbling back from the hail of rounds flying at her.

Yang: Arrrgh!!!

Yang was quick to climb to her feet despite the punishment she recieved. However...

Port: Oh! What a show of brute combat!

Oobleck: Indeed! This particular duel has been anything but uneventful! Both combatants have been displaying true marks of Huntsmen!

Port: Huntsman or not, that was a devastating blow Ms. Xiao-Long just took!

Yang glanced at the big screen that displayed Aura levels.

Oobleck: Quite right. Miss Xiao-Long just lost over one-third of her Aura in that barrage, while her opponent took barely a fraction of the damage.

Mercury gracefully landed on the other end of the arena with barely any sweat on his head.

Mercury: You know, I think all the meat that should've gone to your head went to your chest.

Yang: What's that supposed to mean!?