Chapter One

Gracie Ann Divine is twenty-four  years old. She's never had a boyfriend. She's what everyone calls the UGLY one, including her parents. So, she's always believed what she's been told. A chance meeting will change her life forever.....

Olivia: "I'm so not looking forward to this event."

Gracie: "You? I always look like a beached whale."

Olivia was beautiful. She was 5'9, long brown hair with blonde highlights. She had legs to kill for and was every man's dream. Gracie was not. She was short, fat, and very unattractive. (In her mind anyway)

Olivia: "I think your beautiful, Gracie."

Gracie: "You're my best friend; you have to say that."

Olivia: "No, I don't. I mean it."

Olivia was not only Gracie's best friend, but they also worked and lived together since graduation from high school.

MJ: "Gracie, Olivia, are you two prepared for tonight?"

They worked for Matthew and MJ Lubbick. They were the father and son team that owned the largest accounting firm in the city. Olivia was Matthew's assistant, and Gracie was MJ's.

Olivia: "Yes, MJ, aren't we always."

Olivia rolls her eyes. They had been working for the Lubbicks for four years.

MJ: "Yes. I also know this is the one event both of you hate every year."

Olivia: "Then why make us go, MJ?"

Matthew: "Because we know you both secretly love it."

Gracie: "Yes, Matthew, I absolutely love it."

Matthew and MJ never judged Gracie.

To them, she was a hard worker. She knew her job and was good at it. She also had a heart of gold and would do anything for anyone. The Lubbick's thought of both Gracie and Olivia as family.

MJ: "Aww, Gracie. You have to stop being so hard on yourself."

Olivia: "You're not the one everyone calls "The ugly duckling" either."

Matthew: "I don't ever want to hear that come out of your mouth again, young lady."

Gracie: "Yes, sir."

She knew they would never tell her that they agreed with that statement. There weren't many people who built her up instead of putting her down. The Lubbick's (the whole family), Olivia, and Olivia's parents. That's it.

MJ: "Gracie, can I talk to you in my office for a minute?"

Gracie: "Yes, sir."

She follows him down the hall to his office.

MJ: "Gracie, I know this night sucks for you. I know people are ruthless. Promise me this year; you will try to enjoy yourself."

Gracie: "I'll try."

MJ: "We won't let your parents and sister belittle you."

Her parents are doctors, and her sister is an interior designer. Gracie was given a luggage set for graduation with a card that good luck on your new endeavors, but please find a new place to live. Olivia's parents had bought an apartment for Olivia, so Gracie moved in with her that day. Olivia's parents accepted Gracie and loved her the way she was.