Chapter Twenty-Six

Lindsey was deep in thought the whole ride home. She knew the moment those words came out of justices mouth; she was his. She had always been in love with him. He was the reason she couldn't love Joel. She was home a little earlier than usual. Joel was already home.

She opened the door to her house and went straight to the kitchen; she heard noises coming from her upstairs bedroom; she went upstairs to her bedroom. The door was wide open, Joel was pounding their Nineteen-year-old neighbor from behind; she didn't even say anything. She went back downstairs and waited for them to finish. She heard them coming down the stairs.

Liza: "Oh shit."

Joel: "What?"

Liza: "Lindsey's here."

Lindsey: "Yep. I've been here for about thirty minutes. You left the door open, by the way. I saw you deep in her."

Joel: "Lindsey, I can explain."

Lindsey: "I just want to know if her child is yours. Is Reagan your son?"

Joel: "Yes."

Lindsey: "Where are the kids?"

Joel: "With my parents for the weekend. Lindsey, I'm sorry."

Lindsey: "Do you want a divorce?"

Liza: "No!"

Lindsey: "Wow, she answers for you."

Joel: "If I wanted a divorce, I would have filed when this started. I stayed married to you for a reason. I'm asking you to stay married to me. I don't want a divorce. I'll beg if I have to."

Liza: "My parents don't know he's Reagan's father."

Lindsey: "Joel, how long have you been sleeping with her? Reagan is three..."

A light bulb goes off.

Lindsey: "Oh my god! How old was she the first time?"

Joel: "She was 14. Lindsey, please."

Lindsey: "I'm not mad. I'm not angry."

Joel: "What?"

Lindsey: "You can carry on your relationship. I won't say a word. I'll keep your little secret. Things here at this house will not change. I will stay married to you; I will keep your secret. You will allow me to do what I want with whom I want."

Joel: "Thank you."

Lindsey: "Is she why you haven't touched me in years?"

Joel: "Yes."

Lindsey: "Wow."

Joel: "Why are you home early?"

Lindsey: "I came home to talk to you about a job offer I received. I don't even need to discuss it with you now. I'm taking it. It requires me to travel. Liza, you can help with the kids when I have to go."

Liza: "That's fine. Just don't tell on us."

Lindsey: "Oh, sweetie. I'll keep your secret. Joel, you don't know what you have just done."