plan (r. byrne)

au in which everyone's single

(also, it's advisable to listen to the song 'sweet chaos' when it's mentioned, [included above] so you can get an idea of the drummer's skill > 3 <)

You had always dreamed of being a drummer. The constant need to tap your fingers or bounce your legs needed an outlet, and what better way to unleash the energy than smashing out fire beats?

Your band, Colorful Mess, had been thriving ever since you all graduated from college. Nightly gigs at different bars, an ever-expanding setlist, people were always trying to get you for events and it was great.

Pulling up to the bar, you straightened out your outfit and walked in. Your sister, Cate, had said she was meeting you there with some friends for their Friday night session, but later on in the night. Sure enough, the bar was near empty when you entered.

"Hey, Y/N, where are the others?" Jennie, your childhood friend, who also happened to be the bar's owner, asked, giving you a hug.

"They're gonna show later, I wanted to warm up first. Can I use the bass?"

"Be my guest."

You might have primarily been a drummer, but that didn't mean you weren't acquainted with other instruments. Picking out a tune, you played for about 5 minutes before your bandmates walked in.

"Hey, there she is!" Jessie, your redhead lead guitarist exclaimed, "Our awesome leader came early!"

Alex ran a hand through her short silver hair, "Dani thought you were gonna be late, and Cate wasn't answering our texts."

"Well, you know me, I hate performing without warming up first," you scoffed, handing Alex the bass.

Jessie chuckled, tuning her guitar, "Are we doing setlist A or B?"

"How about we wing it?" you responded, adjusting your seat, "I'm feeling like doing hard rock but some slightly slower ones too."

The four of you had become close friends in high school. Jessie was the liveliest person ever, even in elementary, and that had drawn you in easily. Dani and Alex had only joined your circle once you started your after class jamming sessions in the music room.

"Good luck, guys!" Jennie called from across the room, "Not that you need it, of course!"

"Let's start simple. Y'all ok with Get Over It?"

They nodded their assent to the Ok Go song, and you tapped your drumsticks thrice and started the song.

It might have been a detail worth mentioning that you were the vocalist, with a voice that was deeper and slightly raspier than most girls.

Once the song was finished, the bar was significantly more filled, so you moved on to one of your signature songs, 'Take Me Away' from the soundtrack of Freaky Friday.

Your brow was slightly sweaty, but you were beyond ecstatic. "Let's do Sweet Chaos now, guys. are you up for it?"

Your bandmates glanced at each other before nodding at you.

"One, two, three!"

★★★

Walking into the noisy bar, Rose glanced from Cate to Sarah, obviously not the most comfortable in the setting. Cate looked over and took her wrist, dragging her to a table.

"Hey, Cate, good to see you," a pretty brunette with shoulder length hair in a half-pony suddenly came up and hugged her, "What can I get for you and your friends?"