cousins (r. byrne)

(i left y'all 'pagtingin' by ben&ben above, it's the perfect summary of this chapter, please listen to this amazing work of art !! 🤩)

You and Rose had been seeing each other for about a year, your parents and siblings had met her already when you told them you were together, and they were actually pretty chill with it. So were your grandparents, and all your uncles and aunts, they didn't exactly want to pressure you into introducing her until you were ready.

Those who hadn't met her were aware she was an actress, and that you didn't want to divulge all that much because both of you wanted to keep your relationship private, and everyone respected it.

However, your cousins all wanted to know what your mysterious girlfriend was like, so they forced you into agreeing to bring her over for a weekend with them, provided all of them brought whoever they were dating. It hadn't really been the easiest subject to broach.

"Hey, Rose?"

"Hm?"

"I have a really important question to ask."

"Oh," she replied, "should I be worried?"

"Nah. Never mind, yeah, you should be concerned. Slightly."

"What is it?"

"My family wants you to stay over for a weekend so they can meet you."

"What?!"

"Don't be stressed, they know we're dating, and they know I'm gay, so it won't be so unexpected."

"Who asked for this?"

"Mostly it's my cousins, they just want to know what you're like."

"Why would they want that?"

"Because," you sighed, "we're all really close and they're, I don't want to say protective, more of, really curious."

"Who else is going to be there?" Rose inquired, a nervous look on her face.

You shrugged and thought for a moment, "Probably all my extended family. My cousins have to bring whoever they're seeing too."

"Well, then, I don't think I really have a choice, do I?"

"No, you don't, but don't worry, my cousins are really nice."

"Are you the only gay person in your family?"

"Yeah, but I don't know if my sisters are straight or bi or what."

"I'm feeling nervous about this."

"Hey, just be your awesome, amazing self. They're going to love you, don't worry."

"Okay," she breathed, taking your hand in hers, "I guess I can do this."

"Of course you can, you're literally you."

"You think too highly of me."

"I beg to disagree."

★★★

The weekend came sooner than either of you expected, and there you were, standing outside the gate of your grandparents' house, holding hands.

"So, I'm getting extremely scared," she chuckled nervously.

"Don't worry, we're going to be fine. They aren't psychos who'll break us up just because they don't like you."

"How are you so calm about this?"

"I am an extremely great actress, now let's go."