20

We win our home game. The locker room is pungent with the acrid scent of sweat and ringing with the slamming of lockers. The raucous cheering adds to my post-game high.

I come out of the room grinning and high-fiving my teammates.

Em is waiting outside with the others.

"Did you see that, babe?" I grin breathlessly, lifting him off the ground and kissing his cheek.

"Stooop," he hisses. "You're the reason I'm known as Brandon's Pet."

"Mm." I rub our noses together, as is my wont. "Do you wanna sleep over tonight?"

"Whoa there, Romeo." My teammates are laughing nervously.

Like there aren't pictures out there of me kissing the cheek of every member of the team.

I sigh disparagingly.

"Step up your friend game, guys."

Out of the corner of my eye, I spot Tania and her cheerleader friends cornering Tammy, probably giving her a hard time again because of her weight.

Em sees it too, so I have no choice but to swoop in and save her. Judging by the dark look Tania gives me, I'm not sure if telling her off has actually helped Tammy or made it worse.

That night, Emery lies shyly in my arms while I livestream on Instagram. "For every like, I'll give Emery a hug," I say into the camera.

It's a long, comfy, cozy, cuddly night.

The next morning, I'm in for a rude awakening.

"Wake up." I wake up to Alexandra whacking us with a pillow.

"Your mom let me in," she answers my burning glare. "Emery and I have to practice."