Chapter Two

-Devin-

He followed Mitch into the main building and into a room full of people he presumed he'd be working with. There was a brunette white woman, an older white man with a salt and pepper beard, a younger black woman with hazel eyes that matched his own, another white man with dark brown hair - that one was hot but definitely straight, what a shame - and then a smiling young white guy that Devin could immediately tell was gay.

The guy had honey brown hair and big eyes that were the same shade of blue as a perfect summer sky - sunny, with large, puffy clouds drifting lazily across the endless blue. It's too bad those eyes belonged to someone he wouldn't have taken a second look at under any other circumstances. The guy was attractive enough, but he was attractive in a cute way, and Devin didn't do cute. 

This guy looked like he'd be sweet and eager to please, which meant he wouldn't have a clue how to please Devin. He liked to fuck - to throw a guy around and bite him and pin him down, and then have the same done to him. None of that tender, making love shit, which was probably what this guy preferred.

His eyes wandered down the guy's body. He wasn't big, or stocky, or muscular, but he wouldn't exactly consider him a twink either. Although he was tiny, the guy had some muscle on his frame, which was probably due to the type of work he did rather than any kind of effort in a gym. Devin wasn't interested at all, but the guy would have to do. He knew he should consider himself lucky that there was even another gay guy in this place.

"Everyone, this is Devin," Mitch said, addressing the room. "He'll be with us for four months and will work with each of you at some point or another." 

Mitch introduced each person in the room, and Devin stepped forward to shake their hands. When he shook the hand of the small gay guy, named Avery, he noticed the guy swallow hard, despite his smile. He clearly found Devin hot, and he was probably intimidated. This would be fun.

"Devin," Mitch continued. "For the first month, I'd like you to shadow Avery and work with him. He's been with us for two years, knows a hell of a lot, and is the most patient teacher we've ever had. You'll be in good hands."

He couldn't help but smirk. He'd definitely be in good hands alright. The others began to leave, and he turned towards Avery. "So, boss, where to?"

Avery was several inches shorter than him, and had to look up at him to make eye contact. "I'm going to spend the first day just showing you around and explaining some of what we do," he said cheerfully. "We won't get to work until tomorrow. You can leave your bag with Mitch and I'll show you your cabin when we get back later this evening."

He walked with Avery out of the building and over to one of the older, white pick-up trucks. Avery unlocked the door on the passenger side, and then walked around to the driver's side to unlock his own door. Devin followed, figuring now was as good a time as any to establish how things were going to go. As soon as Avery opened the door, he stepped close, placing one hand on the door and the other on the door frame, trapping Avery. Avery was visibly startled when he turned and noticed Devin.

"Figures they'd put the two gay guys together," Devin said, his voice low.

"You're gay?" Avery sputtered.

"You didn't pick up on that?"

"Um, I don't assume. And I just met you."

He leaned forward and ran a finger down Avery's chest, enjoying watching the guy squirm. He let his gaze linger on Avery's body, and then turned and walked back around to his side of the truck.

-Avery-

He tried to regain his composure as he started the truck, but he was well aware of Devin sitting just a foot away in the passenger seat. He tried to push any thoughts of Devin's body out of his head and pretend he was any other person. As he drove Devin to a few of their project sites and explained the types of things they worked on, his enthusiasm for the outdoors took over and it became easier to focus. Devin, however, wasn't saying much. He seemed to be bored and barely listening.