Chapter Twenty

-Devin-

As amazing as the weekend had been, he could sense that Avery still didn't completely trust him. Avery trusted him plenty in bed at this point, but he wanted more. He wanted Avery to feel like they were friends. He knew a big part of that lack of trust was because he hadn't shared much about himself or his life with Avery. They weren't going to get any closer if he didn't let Avery in and at least show him that there was more to him than sex.

During the long drive to their site for the day, he decided to change that and start opening up. He turned slightly in his seat to face Avery. 

"You told me on the night of my birthday that you had an engineering degree, but I didn't tell you what I do. I haven't been very open with you so far."

Avery glanced over at him, his brows slightly pulled together.

"I actually have an engineering degree too," he continued. "From the University of Washington. A Bachelor's. I didn't want to talk about work because I felt bad after hearing that you could only afford to get your Associate's so far. It made me feel like an asshole, because my dad could send me to a good college and pay the tuition for me, and that kind of stuff makes it easy to get a job."

He wasn't ready yet to tell Avery that his dad owned an engineering firm and had given him a job. He'd work up to it eventually, but figured he could start small first.

"You shouldn't feel like an asshole because you got a good education," Avery replied. "There's nothing wrong with that."

He cleared his throat. "Well, you know how my cousin Carter is ridiculously wealthy? My dad and I aren't that level of wealthy, but we're still wealthy. I grew up in a big waterfront house on Mercer Island, and I own a luxury condo in Bellevue. Within reason, my dad gave me everything I wanted. I haven't had to struggle or anything," he confessed.

"Being wealthy doesn't make you an asshole either," Avery said. "It's not wrong to have money. It's what you do with it that matters. What charitable causes you support and how you help others or make some kind of a difference in the world."

Devin stayed quiet. He hadn't ever bothered to donate money, and he certainly didn't do anything to make the world a better place or help anyone else out. He felt ashamed, especially knowing that Avery would have gone out of his way to help others if he'd had the money or opportunity.

"That's a good point," he finally said.

"I'm glad you shared that about yourself," Avery replied, smiling at him. "All that I've wanted, and all everyone else here has wanted, is to get to know you."

"There's not a lot to know," he said, shrugging. "I'm a spoiled rich guy who spends most of my time in clubs or going on vacation with friends. Or working out. I don't have hobbies or a sense of purpose like you. I don't really do much or have anything going for me."

Avery's smile faded a little, his lips quirking in disapproval. "Don't say that. You're attractive, healthy, have a dad that loves you, a great education, and you don't have to worry about money. You could say that working out and traveling are your hobbies, and if you keep hiking, you can add that to the list. You're smart and confident and I have no doubt you can do whatever you want."

"Smart might be going a bit far," he scoffed.

"You are smart! Maybe most of what you say is mean spirited, but you're witty. And Devin, I can tell you're not an idiot. I've worked with a lot of people, some who need more help than others, and I know you'd pick up things easily if you'd make an effort. You're sharp, but lazy."

He settled back in his seat. He didn't understand why Avery thought highly of him at all. Or wasted any time believing that he could be better than he was. He'd never thought about things this way or cared before and had been content to live his life doing whatever he wanted. But seeing how Avery was with others made him examine his choices and his own life. He didn't like what he saw. He just didn't have the first idea how to fix it.