Attack

((Max's POV))

        I'm panicked, of course, Alice must think I'm insane, but I know I'm not. I can't be. He's right there! He opened the door for us, but... but something was different. He didn't look the way he normally would. 

        "Max we need to get moving now, okay?" Alice asks again. I nod, the stop and shake my head. 

        "No, we could hide for a while, then... follow the squids back to their camp. Find a way in. We have no other leads, do we?" Alice shakes her head, and we stay where we are. After a minute, she brings up the topic I was hoping to avoid. 

        "Max, did you really see Deadlox again? There was nothing there... but maybe it's a magic thing?" I shudder. I don't want to remember, but it's burned into my mind. 

        "He... he normally looked alive. Healthy, like a normal person. When he opened the door though, he was pale. His eyes were glazed over, and I could see where he... he... he looked like he had just been killed, than got up to open the door for us." Alice gives me a look, and my heart sinks. She thinks I'm insane. To be honest, it sounds crazy, but I know I saw him. I know I did!

        "Max, maybe you're just in shock right now. Just calm down, okay?" Alice says it slowly, like I'm some stupid little kid that can't understand English. 

        "I'm not crazy. I'm not. Maybe the fact I can see him and no one else can means something, but it doesn't mean I'm crazy. Remember, I saw him before I saw those pictures, or even knew he was dead! Prove that wrong, why don't ya?" Alice sighs and picks a piece of grass. 

        "You know... I almost wish Indy was here right now. You're always more calm around him..." She sighs and peeks over the brush. Then she smiles slightly. 

        "They're moving. Listen, there's no more yelling, or gunshots." I get up and look as well. Sure enough, the soldiers are retreating. They're getting into armored carriages and moving out. Alice grabs my arm. 

        "If we wait until most of them go by, we could jump onto the back of one! They would drive us right to the camp!" I nod, and try to get the image of the dead boy out of my head. There must be a reason, I can see him, but dad never really told me much about the dead. He always said that the one thing magic can't do is bring back the dead, so I never questioned it. I regret that now. 

        "Look, there's a ledge on the back... we could make it if we stay hidden..." Alice mutters. Would Indy have agreed to this? I hope he would, he has more experience in the real world than us...

        "Max, you're spacing out. The last one is up ahead. Think you can make it?" Alice asks, nudging me. She's acting like I'm sick. 

        "I can make it. On three?" She nods, and we watch as the carriage draws closer. 

        "Three..." 

        "Two..." 

        "One! Go go go!" She hisses. We sprint out of the trees onto the path. She gets on first, then helps me up. The carriage goes on like nothing happened. I'm surprised at how well it's going. 

((Indy's POV))

        "If I see you again, and we're both alive, I'm gonna make you tell me all about your adventures."

        "And if I die?" 

        "Try not to, but if you do... Then I'll make sure to ask you in the Athur!"  Max...

        He helped me more than he knows. He helped me run, get a head start, and gave me a reason to try to survive longer. And he told me how to get the curse off. 

        All I need to do now is find him. Once I find him, it'll end one of two ways. Both meaning I'd be free. Only one of us is walking away with our life, I'll make sure of that. 

        I stop by a stream and look around. I'm getting closer, I know this place pretty well. Everything has grown out a bit since I was a kid, but I can still see the path I used to play in. The path back to home. 

        "Not home, it's not your home. Stop it, Indy. This isn't your home, this isn't your family! You live in the village, and you don't have a family." I scold myself. I take my canteen and fill it with the water from the stream. The source is a mountain, miles away from here. I went there once, I'd rather not go back. 

        Something snaps behind me, and I'm turned around with both guns on my hands before I even think. It scares me, sometimes, knowing I could kill as many people as I have bullets without even thinking about it. Right now, though, it's a good thing. 

        Something splashes behind me, but I can see behind me in the reflection of my revolver. No one's there. Throwing pebbles, maybe. Trying to get me all turned around. 

        "Or maybe you're just jumpy, and there's not actually anyone here, you just look like an asshole." Shut up, me. I'm a little nervous, yes, but I know I heard something. Then, my thoughts are confirmed by a slow, sarcastic clap somewhere in the forest. 

        "Aww, look at you. Still playing with toy guns after all this time?" The voice makes my blood boil. I hate it, I hate him! 

        "Show yourself! Coward!" He laughs, and something hits the ground behind me. I turn, and he's there. Smiling, arms crossed, looking only amused. I hate it. 

        "Catch me if you can!" He says, laughing. I realize I haven't shot him yet, my hands are shaking. He smirks, and vanishes back into the woods. I shake my head, snapping out of my brief moment of- what was that? Weakness? Fear? Not this time. 

        I grit my teeth, and race after him. This is ending today.