Dreamgirl Comes Home

New York, 2006

Shawn's POV

"Okay, yeah." I said standing from my desk. "Yeah, I'll look over it tomorrow. Yeah, aight."

I hung up my phone and put my laptop in my bag. I checked my watch to make sure I wasn't late. I walked out of my office and I turned to lock it.

"Mr. Carter." I heard.

"Jackie." I said. "If anything important hit my cell."

"Gotcha Mr. Carter."

I went into the elevator leaving the Def Jam building. I checked some text messages as the elevator dinged. I put my phone in my pocket as the doors opened and proceeded to the entrance of the building.

"Have a good day Mr. Carter." I heard one of the security guards say.

"You too." I said as I walked out to my awaiting car. 

I got in and then I had to go pick up Chanel. I read over some emails before we arrived at the school. I got out to go get her. I walked in the school and she was sitting in the cafeteria waiting. I signed her out and she ran over to me. I picked her up.

"Daddy!"

"Hey midget." I said as I put her down and we walked out.

"Daddy! Do you know what today is?" She asked.

"Nope." I said playing dumb. "You gotta tell me when we get in the car."

I opened the door and she slide over to her side and I got in. I helped her buckle up her seat belt as we drove off.

"Daddy." She whined. "Can I tell you now?"

"Yes, you can." I said.

"Mommy's coming home today!" She said.

"Really?"

"Daddy, you knew." She said.

I laughed.

"I did. Do you want to pick something up for her?"

"Uhm we can get her some flowers and when I talked to her and she said she wanted food." 

"So flowers and Popeyes?"

"Yes daddy, get that." She said nodding.

After we got the flowers and the food we went back to the house. I opened the door.

"Daddy, when's mommy gonna really be home?"