Can't Stop

Six Months Later

Chanel's POV

It's been six months since that day at the dance studio with my mom. She never brought up the rapping thing again.

Since then I've graduated from middle school so I'll be starting high school in the fall.

About the whole rapping thing I think Nae and I have gotten better. Since it's the summer all we've been doing is rapping over beats. Some we've made up ourselves or remixes. They all stay on a drive and we haven't released anything.

Oh yeah, we've done all this without telling anyone. It's kind of hard to keep this secret but the way my mom acted the first time I even brought it up made me not wanna say anything.

Today we're over my grandmas house. Not Tina, Gloria. Somebody we know around there has a studio and that's where we record. 

"You ready?" Nea asked as we walked down the street.

"Yeah." I said.

"Eventually you know we gonna have to tell someone." She said.

I sighed.

"I know." I said. "But for now let's just keep doing this."

"Okay." She said.

We kept walking. When we got  there Logan opened the door and hugged us.

"Aye, I got a beat I want y'all to hear." He said.

"Bet." I said.

We went in his basement and he played the track. I was listening.

"You did this?" I asked.

He nodded.

It was hot. I stood up and walked around as he played it on repeat. Nae was writing in her book and something just came to me.

I went in the booth.

"Aye, press record and play it back" I said.

Nae stepped out so she could finish her verse but I had to lay mines now. He pressed record and I just went in. 

When I was done he just looked at me.

"Yo! That was crazy and I'm not gassing." He said.

"You think?"

"Hell yeah." He said. "That was all freestyle? Did you write that down?"

"Nah." I said.

Nae came in the booth and I gave her the head phones and watched her record. She got so much better since we first started.

"Yo!!!!! That was sick." I said hugging her and she laughed.

We left out and went to hear what we did. When I rap I'm more punch lines and freestyles. Nea is more lyrical. I'll sing or whatever I feel when I lay my part and she'll come with the crazy word play and say something that'll make you think.

"We need to put this out after I finish mixing it." Logan said.

"No, don't do that." I said. 

"I'm not gonna lie." Nae said. "If we serious about this we need to put something out so we could be heard."

I shook my head.

"I don't know." I said. "Just not right now. Logan, just send it to me when you mix it alright."

"Yeah, I got you." He said. "Call me when y'all coming back over."

We nodded and left out. We went back to grandma's house and she didn't ask us any questions thinking we were at the rec all day.