Chapter 50

Chapter 50

Emma’s POV

I slid out of my car and Lacey came bouncing up next to me, a large smile painted on her face.

“Hey girl, haven’t seen you in a while. Dang, you look rough.”

“Aww, thanks. You look nice too.” I rolled my eyes with a smile, but she ignored my comment and began rambling about some guy asking her to prom.

Prom.

Oh crap. I was going to miss my senior prom. For what? College. All because a boy asked me to move in with him.

I shook the thoughts from my head and smiled up at Lacey.

“Where’s Mag’s? I need to tell you guys something.”

“Uhm, she’s here. I went to talk to her but she was rambling about history and science so I don’t know where she is.”

I laughed and walked down the hall and into the History class, to see Maggie handing her papers to the teacher.

“Is that next week’s assignment?” I asked

“Yeah, I like being ahead.” She shrugged.

“Okay, I need to tell you two something.”

“What?” they both answered.

“I’m-“ I was cut off by the first period bell.

“You can tell me later, I can’t be late!” Maggie said, before running off.

“Yeah girl, I can’t be tardy one more time. I ain’t doin’ no community service, ya dig’?”

I wrapped my arms around me and let out a laugh.

“Girl you are about as white as they come, stop trying to be ghetto.”

“I watched Bring It On last night.” She blushed.

I rolled my eyes and grabbed her arm. “Come on, we need to get to class.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I stared at the clock and counted down the seconds in my mind. I felt like the beginning scene of the second High School Musical movie, where they were all waiting for summer break.

The bell finally rang and I sprang from my seat and ran down the hall towards the cafeteria. I waited by the door for Lacey, Maggie and Zeke, but once they all appeared I got in line.

“So, what was so important that you needed to tell us?” Lacey asked, picking at her sandwich with a disgusted look.

“Oh. I’m moving.” I whispered, but I swear the whole cafeteria heard, because everyone was silent.

“What?” Zeke asked.

Lacey dropped her sandwich and Maggie’s eyes widened.

“What do you mean, your moving?” Maggie asked

“I mean I’ll be graduating this spring and moving to Australia. I won’t even be here for summer.” I whispered again.

Zeke stood up; his face was red with anger.

“Is this for that stupid boy, what, Luke? When are you going to stop letting guys control your life, Emma? When are you finally going to be smart enough to make your decisions?” He yelled, and I stood, ignoring the sting from the tears that were threating to make an appearance.

“This isn’t just for Luke. I want to move to Sydney, I want to be with him, and I don’t have to have your approval, Zeke, you aren’t my boyfriend!” I yelled, and then covered my mouth.

I let out a shaky sigh and closed my eyes. “Zeke I’m-“

“Forget it.” He said, pushing away from the table. He stormed out of the room and I sat down slowly, looking to Lacey and Maggie.

Lacey stood up and followed Zeke, and Maggie stared at me for a moment, before picking up her salad and walking away.

I leaned over the table and let the tears finally fall free.

I had just ruined everything, and I wouldn’t be around long enough to fix it.