Episode 3, chapter 3

Jake's POV

I stand in the library along with the rest of the class.

'Okay class, I want you to find one novel of your choosing and fill out your worksheets! You have just under an hour, and when you're finished, please hand them to me! Have fun!' Ms Jones says. The class separates. I see Zoey and Lia walking off, and decide to follow them.

I quickly duck behind a bookshelf.

'I can't believe she said that.'

'I know! And she had the audacity to call me a snake... I'm missing chunks of my hair because of her!'

'Ugh, she shouldn't be allowed in this school.'

They must be talking about Milly.

'Anyway,' Zoey continues. 'I just can't believe that she has a crush on that nerd!' She laughs.

'I know, right?! She has such a weird taste in boys. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.'

I keep listening, then turn around. At the other side of the bookshelf, Hailey is standing with her arms crossed, listening in too. She looks in my direction and we stare at each other in awkward silence for a second.

'Hey, what are you doing?' I whisper loudly.

'What am I doing? What are you doing?' She replies.

'I'm trying to find out what Zoey has on Milly!' I say as we walk towards each other.

'Well, that's what I'm trying to do!'

'Um...' We jump. It's Sadie.

'I need to get a book between you two. Could you move?' She says slowly.

'Uh s-sure.' I manage a smile, while sweating.

Hailey laughs nervously. 'Sorry Sadie...'

Sadie gets her book and moves away.

Hailey's POV

Jake laughs a little. 'I guess we had the same idea, huh?'

I smile. 'Seems like it. It sounds like they know something about a crush of hers... I'm going to confront them myself.' I say with determination.

I begin to walk past Jake, but just as I am about to round the corner I hear him say, 'wait!'

He grabs my hand. My eyes widen and heat rises into my cheeks.

'I have a plan I think will work. Do you trust me?' He says, although I'm not paying much attention.

'Uh, s-sure, but could you let go of my hand?' I stammer, my voice trembling.

'Huh? Oh uh, s-sorry!' Jake exclaims, becoming flustered. I smile a little. 'You stay here, I'll talk to the girls!'

He walks around the corner while I try to calm the blush on my cheeks.

Jake's POV

I walk toward the girls again. 'Hey girls! Whatcha talking about?'

'Oh, hi Jake! Not much-'

'None of your business. Why?' Zoey says.

I pause, then say, 'well, I just happened to overhear something about somebody's crush. Thought you might share the gossip,' I smirk.

'Well, if you're so interested... You know that little rat Milly from this morning, the one that yanked half of my hair out?'

'Yes... I remember...'

I have a black eye from her if you hadn't noticed!

'Well, I may or may not have taken her diary and found some juicy information about her crush. I even have a page ripped out as proof!' Zoey says, taking the page out of her pocket and showing it to me.

Oh, so that's why Milly is so angry with Zoey... This girl is really something else.

'But it's her fault for leaving it out on her desk; someone else would've picked it up.' Zoey says.

'Isn't that like, breaking girl-code or something?' I ask.

'That's if you even consider her a girl. She's a tramp!' Zoey smirks.

'Totally.' Lia adds.

'Yeah um, I think you should give that back to her.' I hold my hand out for the page but Zoey stares at me in disbelief.

'Excuse me?! Are you seriously on her side, after what she did to me this morning?! I know you only joined their freak show to sing or whatever, but it's not like you need her.'

I was prepared for this. 'Alright, fine, keep it. I'll just be on my way. Y'know what? I might go and see what Drew is up to. I've yet to tell them about how I saw you with your sugar daddy last weekend...'

Zoey's eyes widen in fear. 'W-what?!'

'Wait, how do you know about that?!' Lia exclaims.

'Well, Zoey wasn't exactly low key about it at the shopping mall last month ago when I happened to walk by. And if my memory serves me right, you had your arm clung tightly around his. Aww, you two looked very cosy together.'

'You. Wouldn't. Dare.' Zoey glares at me.

I chuckle. 'Try me.'

Zoey thrusts the paper forward and I take it from her. 'Take it. You can give it back to that freak! And it's not like I was actually going to tell people anyway, it was just a joke. Just... please don't tell Drew about what you saw...' I hear a hint of guilt in her voice, but don't take a lot of notice.

I smile. 'Cross my heart!' I walk off.

Third person POV (for like 5 seconds XD)

'Wow, I didn't know Jake had such a bad boy side to him. It's kind of hot.' Lia grins.

'LIA!!! I JUST GOT BLACKMAILED!' Zoey yelled.

'Sorry Zoey...'

Hailey's POV

A few minutes after he left, Jake walks back towards me. 'Mission success!' he says.

'I can't believe those girls, snooping into people's diaries like that!' I say crossly.

'It wouldn't be the first time.'

'Thank you Jake, I really owe you.' I say.

'Uh, nah... I did it for my friend, Milly.' He smiles.

I smile back, blushing a little.

'So uh, do you think this will be enough to stop her from all the fighting?'

'I think so. I know how important the music club is to Milly too. But I know why she has a lot of anger...' I say. 'She struggles to make friends in her class, especially with other girls. And girls in high school aren't the nicest to each other... I'm glad that she has us. You can tell that she feels free to be herself in the club. I feel the same way.' I pause. '...On second thought, I think I should take that from you.'

'Wait what? Why should you have it? I'm the one that got it back after all.' Jake says. 'Ohhh I get it, you just want to take all the credit!'

I tilt my head back, rolling my eyes. 'Don't be stupid. I just can't trust you not to read it!'

'Hey! I would do no such thing! I'm a gentleman at heart, after all!' He pauses before adding, 'besides, haven't I already gained your trust?'

'I suppose you're right. I trust you.' I smile. 'Just give it to her as soon as you can, before she has another scrap in the hallway and she really does get kicked out of school...'