48🕺🏽

Jalen Green

I watch Makenna walk into the school looking beautiful as always. Her hair is curled and she all dressed up. Why is she all dressed up?

She walks up to me with a big smile.

"Hey beautiful!" I say pulling her in for a big hug and spinning her around as she squeals.

"You look so beautiful today, baby!" I say as I put her down.

"Thank you!" She says smiling shrugging one shoulder to her face.

I watch as Olivia walks in with a big bag in her hand.

"Happy birthday, bestie!" She squeals.

Birthday? Birthday. Aw shit.. it's Makenna's birthday.

"Thanks so much love." I hear her say to Liv.

Makenna turns to me and smiles.

"So what did you get for my birthday?" She asks sweetly.

She notices my hesitation and her smile slowly fades.

"You forgot my birthday didn't you?" She says.

"Baby, I'm sorry. I've been busy with basketball that I didn't even pay attention." I say honestly.

She nods her head smiling sadly.

"It's okay. I know how busy you are. I know you have a lot of stuff to handle." She says understanding.

Even though she says it's okay. I know it's not. How do you forget your girlfriends birthday? Do you not love her?

I sigh and wrap my arms around her waist.

"I feel like a bad boyfriend." I say.

"You aren't... you're a horrible boyfriend." She says jokingly laughing.

"No, Makenna. I'm serious. I was supposed to spoil you today. Let you know how happy I am for you to live another year." I say truly disappointed in myself.

"Way to make it deep." She mumbles.

"But look... the day is not over. You could get me something after school. I'm having a birthday dinner tonight. You can give it too me then." She says.

I shake my head at her.

Any other girl would be pissed that her boyfriend forgot her birthday, but Makenna is so chill.

"Why are you okay with this? Makenna, I just forgot you're birthday." I say frustrated.

"Hey stop being so hard on yourself. I know you have other important things in your life going on. That's why... and honestly as long as I'm with you I couldn't be any more happier." She says smiling at me.

She's always so positive and happy. What did I do to deserve her?

I shake my head and smile back at her. I pull her into a hug and kiss her head.

"I promise I'll do better. To sort my priorities out. The other day I was hanging with the guys when I could've took a couple of hours to go shopping for you." I say.

"Like I said it's okay." She says pulling away.

"But if you forget again... you might be single." She says playfully looking back at me while walking off.

What a beautiful creature god created.

Makenna Bluitt

"He forgot your birthday!" Olivia exclaims.

"Olivia. Be quiet. He's already upset about it." I say looking around in the classroom we're in.

"Yeah, he should be upset about it. First, he barely spends time with you. Then, he forgets your birthday. What's next? He breaks up with you?" She asks.

"Don't say that." I say softly.

Hearing that kind of shattered my heart. I'm scared of the fact that I might lose him to basketball or some other girl.

"Sorry. I know how much you love him, but you can't keep letting him slide... just because he's busy. You are too and I guarantee you would remember his birthday." Liv says.

"Maybe you're right." I sigh out.

•••

As I'm preparing for my favorite class of the day, science, somebody comes by my locker.

"Hey." I hear a familiar voice call out.

I turn around and see Dejuane.

"Hey D. Wassup?" I ask him.

"I just wanted to say happy birthday." He says smiling at me.

"Aww... thank you!" I say hugging him.

Then I realize his hand is behind his back.

"Anddddd I got you this." He says pulling his hand out behind him.

He opens his hand and I see a small bucket of snacks.

"I figured to buy snacks for a girl who looks like a snack." He says smiling.

"Yeah, that was corny." I say laughing taking the bucket and putting it in my locker with my other gifts.

I hug him again.

"Thanks again! I really appreciate it!"

"Let me walk you to class." He offers.

"Okay cool." I say closing my locker.

Jalen Green

I watch as Dejuane and Makenna walk off together.

"Now you gotta feel pissed." Josh says.

"How you forget my girls birthday, though?" He asks.

"I've been busy..."

"What did you know?" I ask.

"Uhh yeah." He says in a 'duh' tone.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I ask.

"Maybe because I thought you would remember your girl's birthday." Josh says.

"Touché." I nod.