Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Robert

The next day when I returned to the warehouse, I found Sam's dead body laying at the entrance with a pistol in his hand. Damn it! He killed himself. But why? I looked for Hudson and found he was absent. Slowly the dots begin to connect in my head. My pressure began to inflate. I take cautious steps inside the storehouse not to invoke anyone's attention aiming my pistol forward. Arianna was missing and the depot was downright vacant bringing in me the confirmation I dreaded the most.

I hardly walk inside her room to check for any proofs of her possible pass through and hear gun shots been threatened all over the place. I immediately rush to a corner of the room to hide pulling my pistol ahead when a thunderous sound peers into my ears. But before I could plan my next course of action, I feel my eyes going dizzy.  Everything was reeling around me. I try to move my leg and  experience a seeping pain in my left knee. It was then that I discover I was already been shot. Blood was trickling out from the center of my leg in fresh streams.

Allen Rodriguez walks to me in tumultuous steps, slim and tall dressed in a tucked white shirt and black pants aiming a revolver at me. The ground washed from under my legs. It was an astounding realization, a doctor who can rejuvenate a life can also aim a gun. I grip the table behind me for support and attempt to raise my head to look at him. His hair was dishevelled and eyes red shot directed to me in a reeling fury. I could never assume him like this, he was the soft spoken, well behaved boy of next door who could only be deduced in a white coat and a strethescope hanging on his chest.

She was right regarding him. The awakening hit me like hurricane, I couldn't glean in the wildest of my dreams.

Walking out of the dreadful reverie, I try to aim the pistol but before I could reach up the action, I could hear another ear splitting sound. My eyes try to focus but fail miserable and this time the bullet was to my hand that was holding the pistol. The gun falls to the ground invoking in me a trepidating pain. I look frontwards and notice, I was surrounded by men all over the place. "You will pay for every pinch that she suffered because of you." Those were the last words I heard of his. My knees gave up bringing me to the floor, my eyes close down involuntary and everything shuts off.

By the time I open my eyes, I see I was tied in ropes collapsed in a chair. "Where is my wife, you bastard?" He snarls in my ears causing me to wince. "I..I do not know she had already run away by the time I had gone to the warehouse." I tell him in a shivering voice. "No" his voice echoes between the silent walls. "That's not the answer I want." And a hell facing pain pierced in my stomach. "Please do not torture me like this." I squeal in ache and saw a knife penetrate into my skin initiating fresh rill of blood. "For past seven months she was in your shoes. Did you spare her the kindness?" He growls predatory at me.

"I am an orthopaedic surgeon if I know how to bring a patient out of a wheel chair, I also know where to aim to attach him permently to crutches." He crouches over me holding my hair and pulls my head back to look at him.  "Do not interpret you will die easy.  You shouldn't have mistreated my wife." 

He is your death, coming after you like an irrevocable curse. You will die a dog's burial. Your termination is going to be extremely brutal. Her words reverberated in my mind like a minacious typhoon.  I look at him with regretful eyes.  "Psst" he shook his head. "Now it is too late for admission of your mistakes."  He bandages the wound of my belly and wipes his hands with a hand towel after washing them. "I know that hurts like a bitch." He points to my injury with his eyes. "But I will not give you a pain killer. You should ache to live for every pain every bruise she suffered because of you."  

I sob. Her cautioning words once again replay in my mind. "Forcing a woman is a sin. Paramount when she is someone else's belonging, hankering her is a transgression that will ultimately turn to your ruination."  He grabs my hand in his and twists my fingers. There was a cracking sound followed by a strike of pain. A high twinging sound escapes my lips. "Yes," he enunciates in accomplishment. "you should remember I am a doctor of joints and bones. I know what screws to steer in a person's body to make or break a joint." He brings his hands in his pant pockets sharing with me an accomplished look. "For your information, your right hand fingers are useless, now. You wouldn't be able to use them for the rest of your life." He winks to me in a menacing smile.

An unsaid conversation went between the man in white coat and Allen. "As much as I want you to die, I will not give you a peaceful death." He growls and hit a blow on my face. "You should have remembered she is the wife of a doctor." He flings pointing to me with his index finger and then bends down in front of me in a malicious whisper. "I will slowly make every part of your body useless but will not allow you to die. Isn't it the way you tortured her?" 

The doctor who was standing besides all the while hearing our disquiet conversation walks towards me and injects a syringe. Her words afresh ring in my ears like a propelling malediction.  A day shall come when you will repent the moment you came out of your mother's womb. I hold my head down and cry. My fingers were throbbing in pain, hanging lose like a piece of flesh. God please award me death than getting me to suffer like this. And then my eyes slowly drop off.

The next day....

"Where is that bitch?" I hear a yell and my eyes jolt open. In walks my sister, her hands tied in ropes. Her face was red with marks of fingers on her cheeks. "You are a shame on women." Allen's voice booms followed by a slap on her face. "A woman's heart holds love and care. Because God cannot go and live everywhere he created a woman, a mother to care his children but you are an unremovable stain in the jane." 

Turning his head he directs a woman who was holding her to the stretcher. As instructed she pulls Nancy along with two others forcing her to lay down. Allen walks to the stretcher and one of the attendants who was holding her pushes up her skirt revealing her legs. Allen holds the knee of Nancy. "A normal gang member would have given you a few blows and then pierced a bullet inside you but I am not going to do that. I am a doctor, I know about the nerves and where to helm them with your system. I am not going to kill you, but you are not going to live either." He confirms. "You will only survive, till the day I want you dead." His last words were almost unheard but for only Nancy to hear in a malevolent determination. I could see terror for the first time in Nancy's eyes.

"No" I scream helpless. "Please do not do anything to my sister." He turns back to me with a scowl. Nancy looks at me confused and frightened. "Why did you betray her, she trusted you so much." His voice held pain and then there was a yelping voice heard. 

He cleans his hands in the sink and instructs something with his eyes to the doctor standing besides. "Your right leg" wiping his hands with a napkin he turns to look at Nancy.  "is now useless. From now onwards you will need crutches to walk. Even the best orthopedic wouldn't be able to repair that leg now." He points to her leg and the doctor comes back holding a bolster. "Tomorrow I will come back again to visit you, let me see how better I could help you for hurting my wife."

"No please award us death than getting us to suffer like this." Nancy yells at him. He turns back and looks at her furious. "Next time you yell, I won't give you death but cut that tongue of yours so that you won't be able to speak for the end of your life."

Allen Rodriguez - People address him with respect and beg him to heal them but when evil triumphants the good, the merciful doctor loses his patience, he becomes a mafia don, the devil who could tremble even the hell by his changed form. Don't mistake his kindness for weakness. He is kind to everyone but when someone is unkind to him, weak is not what you are going to remember about him.

A good physician treats the disease but a great physician treats the patient with the disease and that is what Allen Rodriguez is born for, a numen to win over knavery.  God cannot be everywhere, so he created a doctor with excellence and selflessness. Allen is born with the heart of a flower but when evil strikes, he is a predator, a proponent of equity ready to rip the goblin out of his flesh.