chapter 24

Chapter 24

Arianna

I am now a used and old piece of rag. Getting back to Allen's life can be unsafe for him. I do not know how many sexually transmitted diseases I might have contracted by now. If I go back to him he will defenitely accept me with open arms but I do not want to bring further troubles in his life. I know his security is running all around the nation in search of me but I believe time heals everything, all will dry down after a period of time and may be one day he would get married. The mere thought clenches my heart as though I am forced to drink poison but I have no other way to keep him safe. He had already saved my life once, I cannot trouble him further.

My present place is away from the busy life of city. The habitat has hardly any civilization living around but the right place for me to live. I had been working here in a small grocery shop as a  helper for last six months. Nobody questions here on who I am and where I am from. Walking ahead for ten more minutes, I know a gas station with an attached take away. As usual I buy a sandwich and walk to the street when my ears record a sudden thwack. I feel instantly dizzy seeing stars in front of my eyes and then everything goes dark.

Allen

Six months have passed since I took Robert and his sister Nancy to my custody. Even after months of bestial treatment with almost all their joints unoperational today, living every day desperately awaiting death, Robert or his sister couldn't offer me a clue about my wife. With the passing time I understood they were impusant to give me any better information. I beat them when I was angry, punched them like a boxing bag whenever I was sad. I just used them as a means of discharging my distress.

The ringing of my telephone interrupted me of the little insomniac sleep I have once in a while. I am tired, very tired as though my body was run under a road roller. My heartbeat was just beginning to recover from a sweaty engagement of breath-ragged, hair-pulling, nail-scraping pleasure mere minutes ago. But unfortunately I was yanked away from the rest. "Yeah....okay... Give the patient one injection of Meperidine and take the x-ray of the knee and ultrasonography for the shoulder and elbow. I will be in the hospital within half an hour." I tell Rosy, the house surgeon and flipped my covers.

My feet swung to the red carpeted floor ready in action for the day when the feel of soft feminine hands accompanied by flutters of kisses sliding along my back bothered me. I reluctantly turned my head confirming to the annoying realization that the treat of the night was still in my bed.  I am galled, because the source of my fleeting pleasure got lost the moment I found my release.

My eyes skidded the olive-skinned, platinum blonde making a meal of my back and my brain struggled to remember her name. She is an entrepreneur. That’s all I could remember about her. I had merely paid attention to her curvy figure and the long, toned legs accentuated by six-inch heels that compelled me to spend a few hours in exploration of her body.

I tried again to recall her name…Shaina.... Shelly....Shilpa but my memory was blank. Nameless Blond pressed her plum lips against the middle of my chest and murmured in a sultry voice “I want more.” A sigh flowed from me as I mentally kicked myself for almost falling asleep with a woman in my bed. “I’m done. Get dressed. My driver will take you home.” I told her in a deadpan voice.

With the heels of my hands, I rubbed the weight of sleep from my eyes. “Thanks for the night." I tell her uninterested. The protesting muscles of my limbs told me just how exhausted I was. When I detected no movement I turned to see tears as she clutched the black silk sheet over her bosom. In a controlled voice, the one straining against anger, I asked, “You don’t understand English?”

“Thanks?” she asked, voice breaking. “That’s it?” Closing my eyes, I pinched the bridge of my nose. Telling a woman to leave more than once had never happened before, because I wasn’t normally this tired. And when I am not tired I am a fucking devil, every woman's nightmare. So, when I gave a command, women usually sensed the peril of questioning me and elected not to argue.

"Listen, girl, whatever the hell your name is, you need to go.” Recognizing my seriousness, the blond hopped up from the bed and scrambled around on the carpeted floor, retrieving her clothes. Appeased, I got up and strolled over to the bathroom.
I failed, how much longer will it be before I can regain the missing half of my soul? With every thought of her, my heart ached like a curse from hell. The heart-wrenching fact that the hands now caressing her weren’t mine, that the lips kissing her weren’t mine, that the body making love to hers…oh dear god, it’s as if a bullet was left inside my heart with no recovery.

I do not know if she is dead or alive. Around six months back my men bought me a handbag with her identity inside it. I thought it as my ray of hope, I put my men every where around the country in anticipation of finding her somewhere but found no fruitful result. With the passage of time, I tried to forget her concluding to the fact that still kills me to digest she left me, she left this world.

I slept with various woman trying to find her in every lass that I slept but found no solace. Those big black pools cause me sleeplessness and invade my every dream. I became a man whore doing meaningless sex to satisfy my sexual urges. I do not live, I only exist because God hadn't yet shown me the mercy of death.

As I get into the lobby of the hospital Rosy was already waiting for me at the entrance, her weight getting shifted between one heel to another. I inferred she is extremely tensed. "What's the news about the patient of room 301?" I ask Rosy as she was in walking toe with me.  "Doctor as per your advice I had done the x-ray of the knee and ultrasonography for the other joints but I think there are more complications." Rosy mumbles her ending words thoughtful.

"Okay do the screening test for osteoporosis." Rosy twiddles her thumbs and looks at me ruminative. "Doctor I had the doubts already and done the test. The bone density throughout the body is very low including the hip, spine, wrist. We detected a few fractures at various places including her ribs, knee and ankles.

"What would be the age of the patient? You told me she was young." I ask her introspectively walking to my cabin and started reading the files of my in-patients. "Yes sir, that's what I was surprised too. She is too young to suffer osteoporosis.  She could be somewhere around twenty five years but her bones are in the density of sixty year old woman.  I wonder how she survived for this long with such weak bones."

"You have given her Meperidine injection I suppose." I confirm while putting on my surgical gloves and the blue apron. Rosy nodded to me. "Don't worry then, she wouldn't complain of any pain for the next five to six hours. I will take a look at her condition once I complete checking the in-patients. You can give her some diet in the meanwhile and these medicines." I jot down the prescription to her.

Walking to the exit of my cabin I turn back as something strikes me. "Any information about who brought her to the hospital or her relatives?" Rosy shook her head.  "No sir, we do not have any information. The patient was unconscious when she was brought here and she told me she had no relatives and nobody to call."

"Strange" I mutter and walk to my destination carrying the stethoscope in my hands. In the afternoon I get a call from Rosy, her voice almost in panic. "Doctor this lady seems to be anomalous. She was trying to run away from the hospital as soon as she saw your name in her physician's list. I think she needs to be sent to the psychiatric ward rather than orthopaedics. The security caught her when she was  exiting without paying the bills and admitted her back in the ward."

"Stay with her, I'm coming there in a couple of minutes, by the way what's her name?" I ask her examining the x-ray report of one of the patients and what I heard next stopped me dead in my tracks.