Chapter 3: The Girls

Gerry...

I just don't understand what is happening right now. None of this makes any sense.

"Where did she go?... What do you mean, you don't know? You're her best friend! Just tell me, Missy... Fine, I'll call her mom." I say, and then hang up the phone.

Shit, where is she?

Dialing Kaylee's mother, it rings and rings. Then she answers, "Hello."

"Hey there, Ms. Masters... Um, is Kay around?" I ask, knowing that's not her married name, but I can't remember the new one.

She's quiet for a moment.

Did her mom hang up on me?

She clears her throat and says, "She went to live with her dad in Texas. I'm sorry, Gerry, but I felt Kay needed a new start."

Staring at the phone, I reply, "Okay, thank you."

Hanging up, I feel gutted.

Did Kay move across the country to get away from me?

"Gerald, who are you talking to, babe?" Kim asks while walking into my room.

When did she get here? Shit, think of something.

"It's a surprise for you. I thought you were going to a dress fitting today with all your bridesmaids." I reply.

She comes in, sits on my bed, and says, "I'm back... What is it? Tell me! You know I hate surprises."

Then she pouts... Shit!

"I ordered something for the baby," I say and then look into her ice-blue eyes.

Standing up, she says nothing and then storms out of the room.

Did she believe me or not? Kim seems mad, but why?

Getting up, I walk downstairs and she's sitting at the kitchen table, tapping a chef's knife on the table. Kim is glaring at me, and she looks furious.

Jesus, she is one scary bitch.

"What did you buy the baby? You should save money for my ring," she growls.

Looking at her, I reply, "It's a surprise. Why are you acting crazy?"

"Crazy! I am not CRAZY GERALD!" Kim screams, and I back out of my kitchen.

Walking out into the driveway, I look back to see if she is following me. Then mom pulls in and almost hits me.

"Mom, what the hell?" I shout, and she opens the car door.

Popping the trunk, mom says, "Oh good, you're home. I need help with the groceries."

"Didn't you see me?" I ask while she grabs her purse.

Turning to me, she asks, "What are you talking about?"

"Nothing, forget I asked," I say as she hands me a bunch of bags.

Then I add, "Kim is acting weird."

"She's hormonal, dear, and I would not make her mad if I were you. That one is angry on a normal day and I'd hate to see her really upset." My mother says as I look back at the house.

Picking up a few more bags, I turn around, and Kim's standing right there in front of me.

"Jesus! Kim, I've got this. Just go in the house." I say as she wraps her arms around me.