Chapter 15: Never Give Up

Kay...

Arriving at work today, I'm a little nervous because she has an appointment this afternoon. I noticed her name on the schedule yesterday, totally by accident, and this made me anxious. Getting ready for work, I had to have the perfect outfit. One that says she's hip, yet tasteful. Something that would state, she'd make an excellent mother. But hide the fact that I'm older. This was difficult to find, but I found the perfect combination that is still considered office attire.

Today's ensemble is a wine-colored long ruffle-back blazer, with a black camisole and black pants. Not that she will see, but I'm also wearing my long, black leather boots.

Walking into the office, I hear a whistle and look at the front desk windows. Franny opened this morning, and she has a gigantic smile on her face.

"Well, look at you, girl. That's a new outfit and I like it!" she exclaims.

I reply, "Actually, just the blazer is new. The rest I had lying around."

Molly comes around the corner and stops in her tracks.

"Wow, you look nice today. Where did you get that coat?" she asks.

With a smirk, I answer, "At the mall, a store named Posh. I spent too much money, but I just had to have it."

She nods and says, "You look good and I would have bought one too. Um... I need to have a word with you about something. Can you step into my office for a moment?"

"Sure... Just let me set my purse down and I'll be right in." I reply as Franny's eyes get huge.

She never wants to talk to any of us, unless something is wrong. This is unsettling.

Molly turns and walks back to her office as I go directly to my desk.

I whisper, "What is this all about?"

"Just be cool, I'm sure it's nothing." She answers as I straighten my coat and walk back out into the hall.

Knocking on her door frame, she says, "Come on in and shut the door, please Kaylee."

Oh crap, this is bad.

Molly then adds, "Take a seat. I just want to talk with you about something that has come to my attention."

"Alright..." I reply and then do as she asks.

Molly smiles and then says, "I had a conversation with Dr. White and he let me know that one of his patients will be putting a child up for adoption. He also said that this patient spoke with you over the phone about adopting the child. While I am very excited for you, Kaylee, I'd like to give you a word of warning. Remember our HIPPA rules and she must come to you. Do not seek her out or make this girl feel uneasy."

"Oh, yes, I understand, and I'll definitely let her make the first move. The last thing I want is for Mira to be uncomfortable here and ruin the chance of adopting." I state.

She nods and then says, "Perfect, and again, I'm thrilled for you and Nate."

Standing up, I open the door and walk back to my desk.

Okay, that was awkward.

Sitting down in my chair, Franny spins around and asks, "What was that all about?"

Shit...

"I can't say. Hopefully, I'll be able to tell you soon, but it has to do with patient confidentiality." I explain.

Franny then asks, "Are you okay? Healthy and all of that?"

"Yes, I'm fine. I'm not the patient." I reply, and she smiles.