Chapter 16: Assess

Gerry...

On our way home, Kay looks so happy and I'm glad for her. Dr. White just agreed to deliver the baby she's adopting, and everything seems right with the world. The sun is shining; we are cranking the tunes and I feel happy, for the first time, in a very long while.

As she turns the corner, I feel a pulling sensation. Then I'm yanked upwards toward the heavens.

Did I complete my mission already?

As that thought processes through my mind, I hear, "Hardly... Really, Gerry, you think you're done? Wow, you have so much to learn."

Jethro...

"Yes, Jethro... Who were you thinking it was? God, the almighty?" He shouts.

Appearing in my old classroom again, I'm at the same desk, and Jethro is standing at the front of the class. There are several others here today, chuckling at me, and I'm a little embarrassed.

"That's enough class. Quiet down and get ready for some wisdom!" He exclaims.

Mr. Nelson, the principal or whatever he is, pokes his head into the room.

He says, "Sorry for the interruption, but I need to have a word with Mr. Kastor. Gerald, come with me, please."

Standing up, I follow him out as Jethro shakes his head in disgust.

What did I do wrong now?

Mr. Nelson replies, "This is just your assessment. We need to discuss a few things, is all. Come on into my office and let's have a talk."

Sitting in the chair, he smiles at me and says, "Good job with Sara, by the way. She has never opened up like that before, to anyone. We weren't even sure she remembered what had occurred at the end of her life. Sara has been blaming herself for years and she finally lets it all out. Her soul has held onto all that regret for decades. She blamed everything on herself, but now Sara has finally admitted that her husband was partially at fault. She's moving up and we need you to fill in until her replacement arrives."

"Wait, I need to say goodbye to Sara and apologize for upsetting her," I say as panic fills me.

He looks at me and says, "I'm sorry, but she is gone. Once you finish your mission, then the two of you can speak. You'll need to watch over Nathan and Kaylee just for a little while."

"How will that work? I get pulled to Kay all the time and never get a say." I state.

He nods and explains, "That was then, and now you will have more freedom. You can decide who you wish to follow for the day and when they are together, you will have the power to switch back and forth. It won't last forever. Just until I find a replacement."

"Alright, I guess that will be okay. Oh, I do have a question though. How do I read their thoughts? Everyone can do this except for me." I state.

Mr. Nelson looks at me with a shocked expression.

He says, "All this time and no one taught you how to read thoughts? Jethro, come here, please."

My mentor materializes before my eyes, and he stares at Mr. Nelson. The two of them just look at each other, while I sit here wondering what's being said.

Maybe Jethro is getting his ass chewed out... Oops, they could hear that.

Looking out the window, all I see are clouds. Back in the day, when I was called in here as a teen, I could see the park across the street. Now it's all covered up with white swirling fog. I know I'm not really in my old principal's office, but it would be nice to see something out there. In the beginning, I could?