Chapter 26: Call 911

Gerry...

Being sucked into the heavens, I try to grab hold of anything nailed down, to stop from abandoning Bella in her hour of need.

Why are they summoning me now?

Arriving in my seat during another class, Jethro turns away from the board and looks surprised by my impromptu arrival. Obviously, he did not know I was coming in today.

"No, I did not. Let's go see Mr. Nelson and find out what this is all about. Be right back, class. Just stay in this room." He states while setting down the chalk.

Glancing around, I see he has just written the WHALL on the board.

As if that actually works... Oops.

Jethro glares at me.

As we briskly walk out and down the hall, I realize he is mad and that he heard me.

Jethro answers me, "Yes, I heard you, and so did all of my new students. Come on Gerry, pick up the pace."

Entering Nelson's office, he's not here, and the place is empty.

"Just have a seat and he'll turn up. See you later, Gerry." He states while shutting the door.

Great, I wonder how many weeks this will take? The last time I sat around up here, time flew by down there and Bella needs me tonight. God, please protect Bella.

Sitting here for what seemed like hours, I now know that whatever happened to Bella is over by now. She always makes the wrong choices, and this is a big one, I'm afraid.

"Mr. Kastor, what are you doing here?" He asks.

Nelson must see the stunned look on my face because he asks, "What happened?"

As I was in the middle of explaining what went on, Nelson jumps up without a word and leaves me sitting here. Did he forget I can't read minds again? Shit, this place is not run well. Where the hell did he go?

Once Nelson returns to his office, I see a strange expression on his face.

"There was a life-altering change, and you asked to leave. Why did you abandon your ward? She could have made another error and changed the course of history! Gerry, you can't ask to leave when things get hard. You cannot leave your ward because things happen. What if she was in an accident and wasn't going to live? Would you walk away because you didn't want to see the carnage? Jesus Gerry, you messed up bad." He exclaims, and I feel horrible.

Looking up at him, I reply angrily, "I didn't know. All I said was that I didn't want to see her get hurt. Then, I was being pulled up. You know, someone really needs to show me the ropes!"

"Wait, I'm getting something. Just be quiet for a moment." He says as I sit here, huffing with total annoyance.

Nelson glances over at me and says, "Okay, it's fixed, and that was all part of the plan. You may go now."

"Wait! Stop doing this to me. What happened? What do I do with her? She does not listen to me. Please, Nelson, tell me how to get through to this girl! Kay would listen to me, but this one is nuts!" I holler.

He nods and says, "I don't know what you are talking about. You've made serious progress with her. Just keep doing what you are doing. I will tell you that you're almost there. Keep up the good work, Gerry! Goodbye."

"Wait... What? No, wait a minute!" I yell, but it's too late.

Returning to earth, everything is fuzzy just like last time, and I'm trying to figure out where we are now. There is like this haze all around the room and I don't recognize this place. Hearing someone crying, I scan this bedroom and try to find Bella.