Chapter 46

It's been a month since Mom got hospitalized and be in a comatose state. And I've decided to leave my duty to the new doctor. Every day, I kept on holding Mom's hand. Trying to courage her to open her eyes. I want to see how her eyes spark for us. I want to feel the old days with her, no worries nor problems and just go with the flow; wait for the sun to set. But how can I do it again if she's not here?

"Hey, Mom. When do you plan to open your eyes? I miss you already" I said as I fix her comforter.

Tahimik ang buong kwarto at tanging tunog lamang ng mga aparatos ang maririnig nang tumayo ako para sumilip sa labas. The leaves are falling freely from a big tree near the hospital building. Nakita ko na sa 'di kalayuan ang sasakyan ni Kael.

Kael and I remained silent about the situation between us. He doesn't want to take advantage of the current problem that I'm facing and I am thankful for that. Also, I don't have any thoughts on how to start again with him.

Ilang sandali pa ay bumukas na ang pinto. He's wearing formal attire and I bet he came here from his meeting. Hawak sa isang kamay ang basket na puno ng prutas, lumapit siya sa akin.

"What's with the attire, young boy?" natatawang sabi ko habang iniliibot ang paningin sa kaniya.

Napailing siya at tumawa bago ilapag ang dala-dala. "Duh, girl. Naglaba lang ako"

Sabay kaming natawa sa sinabi niya. "How is she?" nakatinging sabi niya kay Mommy.

"Still the same. But I'm hoping for any progress." pag kasabi ko nu'n ay kumuha ako ng saging mula sa dala niya.

That's my daily routine. And at night, I will prepare my adjustable bed.

Nag paalam na si Kael dahil maaga ang alis niya bukas. Si Daddy naman ay papunta na rito para bisitahin si Mommy.

"Ma'am, ito lang po ba?" tanong ng katulong. I went home yesterday to get clean clothes for me at para na rin magpalaba. "Yes, but where's the other plain shirts?" I asked.

"Nasa kwarto po nila Ma'am at Sir. Nag-aayos po kasi kami ng mga damit." tumango ako at tumayo.

Their room is still the same. White walls and beige stuffs. Tumungo ako sa walk in closet ni Mommy. Hindi ako nabigo dahil nakuha ko naman ang pakay ko. Ngunit nang lalabas na ako ay umihip ang malakas na hangin mula sa labas. The papers placed in the table fell at the ground.

Inilapag ko sa couch ang mga damit na hawak. Isa-isa kong pinulot ang mga papel ng may mapansin na isang lukot na envelope.

I saw my name at the top of it. It seems like this paper was old and just stocked here for a very long time.

Tumingin muna ako sa paligid bago buksan ang sobre.

Dear, Acia.

Hello, my princess. I just want you to know how you mean a lot to me. The day when I saw you cried for that guy, I knew that he matters to you. You became so strong and brave to the point that you get the things you desired for a long time. Seeing you every day crying because of missing him was a stab for me. Because it was all my fault. I am the reason why the two of you parted apart. I am the reason why sadness, pain, and anger devoured your system. Your Dad keeps on telling me to stop hurting you through separating the two of you. I know that Kael is a nice guy. He has a dream for his family and you. It's just that I want you to marry a doctor like us. So he can fit in our field. I tried to watch you if you will move on and move forward to him. And I was wrong because your love for him was crystal clear. I'm planning to give this letter to you tomorrow before your 25th birthday. I'm sorry if I had to do that and for delaying my apology. I hope you can understand my perspective. I love you so much.

Mom,

Ilang sandali pa akong tumitig sa papel. I felt that the canon of tears are about to burst badly. 10 years, 10 years of thinking that he replaced me for someone. I thought of myself having no worth and I doubt myself for loving again because I may not be enough or too much. But life was a lie because it was my Mom's fault.

Pinalis ko ang mga luhang patuloy sa pagpatak. I ran faster down the stairs.

Kael wasn't picking up his phone, same as Dad's phone. Nagmadali akong pumunta sa ospital. Bitbit-bitbit ang papel na may masakit na katotohanan na laman.

The moment I opened the door, Kael was there, sleeping at the couch. Agad siyang tumayo nang maramdaman ang presensya ko. "Acia, I slept here... why are you crying?" napahinto siya nang makitang umiiyak ako.

Agad siyang tumayo at balak sanang hawakan ang braso ko ngunit inilihis ko ito.

"Why you didn't fight for us?" basag ang boses na sabi ko.