Help Wanted [Chapter Five]

I blearily looked around my room. I don't know how people ever really woke up not remembering terrible events that had happened the day before. I knew I could never forget how stupid I had been acting yesterday. I sighed, thinking about how I could at least try to get Sam to understand what had been going on in my head.

"Oh hey Sam, I'm sorry I started a total make-out session yesterday, I was just really excited about my job interview. So what did you have for breakfast today?" I mocked, talking to myself. My cheeks flushed with embarrassment just thinking about it.

Well here goes nothing, I thought, stepping over to my clothes and choosing my outfit for the day. I grit my set my jaw and forced myself to walk out the door, the focus of my path being Sam's place.

I stopped short when I opened my door, noticing a post-it note sticking to the other side. I pulled it off curiously, wondering who could have left the small note.

Al-

I'm going to be out all today.

I called and set your interview for today at 4

-Sam

I sighed, and I felt as though my heart was going to burst. Of course he was going to be 'gone' today, he didn't want to see me and didn't want me to come over. Sam was my best friend! What was I going to do without him being there for me anymore?

I closed the door slowly, slumping back against it. I could feel them coming, the tears; and I tried my best to keep them from falling. I would make this better, I would at least make sure that I would always have my best friend Sam by my side.

I glanced over at the clock on my stove, 1:15. So I still had 2 hours and about 30 minutes until I needed to at least leave my apartment. What on earth was I going to do?!

I thought long and hard before I made up my mind. I had just been thinking about it, and if Sam was going to be gone, what better way to start by then going over to make him some lunch or dinner for when he got home. True, I knew I wouldn't stay long enough for him to get back, but he would know it was me.

I grabbed some nice clothes, knowing that it would possibly take me hours to make a decent amount of food that was actually edible, and almost ran out my door.

I didn't bother knocking at his door; I just turned the handle, knowing that if it was unlocked, I would leave because Sam never left his door unlocked while he was gone. I held my breath as I turned, until...

Click! The door swung open and there I stood, out in the hallway with Sam, just staring at me.

"Al?" he asked incredulously.

"Oh! I- I'm sorry! I thought you weren't going to be home... I-I'll just go now," I stammered, my heart hammering in my chest. He said he wasn't going to be home all day! Why had he lied to me!

"Wait! Al, come in, please," he sighed as I turned to leave.

"I don't really have to, I was just gonna..." I trailed off, not really sure what I was going to do now.

"No, really, come inside. I think we need it."

I had to hand it to him, he was trying hard for someone who obviously hadn't wanted me to show up today. I shouldn't go in, it was easy enough for me to tell that he was uncomfortable with me now. It was unfair of me to force myself into his presence when he was already no doubt having enough trouble without me actually being here.

I had no way of knowing for sure, but I had a feeling that he couldn't let it go either. The both of us had just gotten so lost before we had realized what was going on, and I just can't stop picturing it and wishing I could take back every perfect moment of it.