XXXII: part 1

A/N: A few things you need to know for the chapter below:
1.) This chapter was broken into two parts
2.) The picture above represents how Maria's living room looks like

TW

Maria's pov:

Slam!~, click!~, clack!~, click!~, clack!~

"Maria, calm down! There's no reason to rush-"

"There is," I groaned, cutting Emily off, "We need to find clues fast!"

We've, Emily, Nevaeh, and I, have finally gotten home from school and now it's our chance to discover who Tae-Hwaun really is. This whole day, I've been focused on figuring out who he is.

Why am I so eager to look into his files, you may ask? Well, he's usually pretty always secretive and mysterious. Plus I feel as though... he's somehow connected to our roadblocks.

It may not make sense but-

Snap!~, snap!~, snap!~

"Hello, Earth to Maria here? Are you even listening to us?" Nevaeh questioned as she snapped her fingers in front of my face.

Blinking rapidly, I questioned, "Huh, what are you talking about? What did you say?"

"Well, if you were listening before you would've heard how we've been calling your name and asking why you need to find clues fast." Emily explained in a pissy tone.

"Oh," I cleared my throat, "We need to hurry up and find clues to redeem ourselves. Ever since Emily and I made that mistake by firing the gun, my mom has been looking down upon us. Usually, she's never been this angry...she's rather kind and caring towards me and whoever else she meets..."

"I guess what I'm saying is... I want her to view me- no, not me, more than me. I want her to view us like we matter."

"If I had showed you guys to her before all this happened, she would've accepted you since she accepts any child as if they're her own. That's what she did for Tae-Hwaun, Betsy, James, Brooklyn, and Hailey."

"Anyone in our mafia is like family and right now, the tension between us isn't family. It's like we're her enemies when really we want to be on her side. So if by looking into his file, since he acts suspicious, proves that, then let that be done."

Nevaeh and Emily smiled, "Yeah, let's do this."

"Okay then," I started off as I walked into the living room, "Let's start off with when I first met him. I was  like 9 while he was around 17 or 18, I believe. He was beaten up and looked like he was on the verge of dying when I found him in an alley."

As I continued, I walked over to the living room and looked inside the drawer that had the flower pot on top, then pulled out his file, "The first thing she did was ask him for his name. He refused to tell her and tried to walk away until I stepped foot in front of him, blocking his path."

"He stared at me with hurt eyes while he asked me to move aside in a cold tone. I refused and hugged him since my mother told me whenever someone is sad, you should give them a hug to make them feel better."

"Basically after that, my mother insisted he come home with us and that's basically where it all begins."

Nevaeh collected the files from my hands then scanned the page as she said, aloud, "Tae-Hwaun last-name-not-available? To this day, he hasn't told you his last name?"

"Nope," I sighed, "Even the state doesn't have any record of him. It's like he's never existed before."

Emily leaned against Nevaeh as she scanned his file, "When your mom asked him about his family, he said he doesn't have one and left it off as that, how come?"