Princess of Night (ch 3)

Don't cry, I told myself. Don't cry.

I blocked out all feeling and just kept repeating thoughts in my head.

When it was over, I opened my eyes and watched as Gareth wiped his bloody mouth with the back of his hand. I watched my hand as the puncture wounds closed over quickly, a small trickle of blood the only reminder.

I was glad that I couldn't be changed into a vampire if my blood was taken, but it didn't make me feel any better.

I closed my eyes and listened to the click of the door that told me Gareth had left.

It had been three days since I found out Gareth and Neil were vampires.

I wasn't so scared as I had been, but I still tensed whenever Gareth came in for his daily dose of human blood.

A while later, Neil entered and set a plate of chips and a glass of water in front of me. "Are you hungry?"

I nodded quietly and tucked in to the chips as soon as he left. I washed them down with the glass of water.

For the rest of the day, my actions included walking around the room, looking in the mirror, biting my nails and sleeping. It was uneventful. When night came and the small room was so dark I could hardly see, I tried to get to sleep.

Neil had provided a camp bed which was very uncomfortable. After what seemed like hours, I closed my heavy eyelids and drifted off to sleep.