Princess of Night (ch7)

The rest of the school week dragged on, and although I was glad to be off for the weekend, I dreaded my mum fussing over me.

I closed my locker on Friday and slung my bag over my shoulder. Scarlett walked out with me, chatting about how Miss Harriet had made her take off her make-up on her last class. I saw my mums blue toyota in the parking lot and rolled my eyes at Scarlett.

"She's insisting on picking me up now, because of what happened.." 

Scarlett raised her eyebrows and laughed. "See you on Monday."

I opened the car door and jumped into the seat, throwing my bag in the bag. 

"How was your day?" My mum beamed at me.

"Boring, as per usual."

My mum nodded and turned on the ignition. The car growled and we reversed out of the car park and onto the main road. 

"Look how dark it is already," my mum said, pointing to the sky. It  was getting dark. I zipped up my jacket. It was getting colder too.

My mum drove down the quiet road.

That was when I saw the silhouette in the middle of the road. At first I thought it was going to cross the road but as we got closer I could see they weren't moving. I cried out to my mum who quickly swerved. It was a guy, about my age. A part of me recognised his handsome face, even though I couldn't remember ever meeting him. My mum braked hard and I breathed out. I opened the car door and got outside. "HEY! Are you..." I stopped when I realised there was no-one there.

After looking around the place for a moment, I got in the car. My mum frowned. "Well?"

I frowned, too. "He was gone."

"Gone."

"I got out, and he wasn't there." I scratched my head in confusion.

My mum started the car. My mum knitted her eyebrows and continued to drive. "How did he go so fast?"

I shrugged, still confused. As we entered the house, I collapsed onto my bed and stared at the ceiling. Where had I seen him before?