Princess of Night (ch 11)

I sat down at my seat next to Gareth, who was chatting to the group of populars.

"Ash! Are you going to the spring soiree?" he asked, his eyes meeting with mine.

"Uh, I don't know. It's a while away yet," I said, trying to detract attention away from me. I sat down and flicked through my english book.

"But you're going right?" he continued.

"I suppose so.." I started.

"I'll go with you, then." This was met by a hushed gasp from Eliza, my enemy. She had obviously wanted to go with him.

"No..no. I'm going with Matthew," I hurriedly made an excuse.

I could tell he knew I was lying but he didn't say anything. I felt bad for refusing him, but I hardly knew him. He'd only been here for two months.

****

At lunch I walked up to Matthew.

"You're going with me to the spring soiree," I said.

"What?!" Matthew said, surprised. "I'm your friend, not your..."

"I know but I need you to go. Gareth asked me but I made up this excuse we were going together and..."

"You refused Gareth Reese?!!! All of the girls are in love with him."

"I know, I know. But I need you to go with me. PLEEEAAASSSEEE!!!" I begged, clasping my hands together.

"Alright, I'll go. But only because I'm glad you're not a Gareth fan."

I smiled at him. Thank goodness he was my friend.

 During Journalism, which I also had with Gareth, we were talking about recent news stories. "I heard you were in a news story yourself, Ashlee?" Gareth said, staring at me intensely.

I felt my cheeks burning and I nervously cleared my throat as all eyes in the table turned to look at me. Did he have to bring that up?

 "Y-yes. It's nothing really. I went missing for a few days and when I woke up, I couldn't remember anything from those days I was missing."

"That must have been an awful ordeal for you," said Kayla, in her Paris Hilton-like voice.

"Hmm." I nodded and curled my hand into a fist, propping my head on it. I began to write, my pen slowly moving across my page as I studied the newspaper beside me.

"So...Gareth. Who are you going with to the Spring Soiree?"

The voice, I immediately recognised, was Eliza.

"I haven't had much offers," he smiled, obviously lying.

"A handsome guy like you...and you can't find anyone to take with you?!" Eliza giggled. Her laugh sounded like the whinny of a horse.

Gareth shook his head, a smile playing on his lips.

"Ask me?" Eliza said hopefully, her eyes like a puppy dogs.

Gareth took a deep breath. "I was hoping to go with Ash."

Eliza shot me a death glare. If looks could kill, I'd be six feet under already.

"I'm going with Matthew."

She didn't bother to hide her relief. "That means we can go together, Gareth!"

Gareth looked slightly annoyed, now. I felt a bit sorry for him.

"No. He's going with me."

I looked up to see Scarlett, one hand on Gareth's shoulder and the other on her hip. She sat down beside him, turning her chair to face him. Gareth nodded. "Right. I'm going with Scareltt."

I tried to hide my laughter as Eliza's cheeks grew purple with anger. She looked as if steam was going to come out of her ears any moment.

I watched as Scarlett batted her eyelashes and ran her hands through her hair. She was so beautiful. She could have any guy just by clicking her fingers.

When no-one was looking, she sneaked a cheeky smile at me.

SCORE! She mouthed.

*********************************************************************

 thanks for everyone who is continuing to read this far. There will be a whole lot more chapters so wait for the next one and next one and next one and next one and....you get the idea! :)