Princess of Night (ch 5)

What happened? That was the first thought that entered my head. I recognised the road immediately. This was the road which led to my house.

I got to my feet, my shoes crunching on the gravel.

What am I doing here?

I touched my forehead. I could remember walking home from Lisa's house...

After that, was blank. An empty void in my mind. As I walked down the road to my house, I wondered what I was going to do?

I rang the doorbell to my house and listened to the soft scractches of my dogs paws against the door. I could see Bonnie's golden fur through the frosted glass. I could also make out the blurred shape of my mum coming to the door.

She opened the door and stared in shock.

Then she hugged me and I hugged her back, blinking back tears.

***************************************************************************

My mum insisted I go to the hospital to make sure I was fine.

I stayed at the hospital for a few days, until the doctor decided I was ok and could go home.

According to my mum, I'd been gone for five days. "You had me so worried," she said.

The memory loss didn't make sense either. The doctor said there was no sign of any injury that could have caused amnesia.

Over the next few days, I was questioned by the police about my disappearance and questioned by my friends who insisted on visiting me.

It was frustrating that I couldn't remember what had happened to me.

It also frightened me.