Chapter 8: She Will Be Protected

Thank you all, you're wonderful devoted readers.

Chapter 8: She Will Be Protected.

Bella's POV.

I panicked! What do I do? What do I do? The useless questions taunt me as I grope in my thoughts for how to answer Edward. Then I heard Caius again.

Bella, tell him you had a wet dream about him.

Wait what! That's embarrassing, no way! I flushed at the thought.

Come on little girl. You know you must have before; everybody has those kinds of thoughts he'll eat it up, trust me.

He's got to be kidding me! No Caius, that's not what I want him to think of me right now!

Come on ...do it my sweet. Believe me, he'll be flattered. He'll forget the whole thing. He coaxed me.

Well maybe he had a point. I gulp and take a shaky breath as Edward move to stand over me. I wanted nothing more than to just melt into the floor and disappear but that was not an option. I was forced to stare into his darkening eyes full of accusation that literally burned with anger. I had a feeling of dread in my heart from what I had to do. Well, if I didn't give this most private and embarrassing explanation, Caius would have to fight him in most likely Edward would be on the losing end. So here goes nothing.

''Edward, I ...was not expecting you. Um...Well you came an awkward time.'' I began to say but Edward cut me off with a growl.

''Tell me who touched you, damn it! ''He demanded with a shout.

I could feel Caius getting terribly angry at Edward stone. It startled me too, Edwards demeanor was strangely not himself. I never seen him like this before, not even when he was jealous of Jacob. I had to get this over with before Caius burst in here and kills him. I knew Caius can feel my growing fear as I can feel his anger.

''Listen Edward, I ...I was just so tired from the attack, so I had to get some sleep. I was dreaming of you, not just any dream, but an erotic one. If you know what I mean?'' I say rather meekly, looking not at his eyes but at my hands. I twisted them in nervousness.

I looked up curious see the effect of my words. His face morphed from anger into astonishment, then amusement. A sly smile formed on his lips and he chuckled.

''Really? ''I nodded and smiled sheepishly, then he burst out laughing.

''Well it happens. ''He said then I ducked my head as he embraced me.

''So, was I good?'' He asked, shocking me with the casual way he spoke of as if I just finished making out with him for real.

I push the hair behind my ears. ''I think you already know the answer to that. ''I simply say, and he laughed some more.

''Um, wow Bella! I didn't know that you had dreams like that about me. You want to fool around?'' he said wiggling his eyebrows at me.

Great, now he gets fresh. What my life's not complicated enough? I pushed him towards the door.

''Would you just stop, already? ''I said, shaking my head at him.

''I assure you when we do it, I won't disappoint you. ''He said trying to coax me as I struggled to push him out of the room. I shook my head again, so he relented and took my hand and then led me downstairs.

''So, are you ready to go? My family wants to talk to you, we need to get our heads together and see how to handle this. ''

'''OK, let's go. ''

''Lock the door when you leave, Bella. ''

''I will. ''He returned to me and his face became serious as I turned back from the door. I shivered from the chill in the air. He noticed and removed his jacket.

''Here, put this on. ''I thank him quietly and then I slipped it on.

''Edward, ''I'd whisper, after we stay in one another's arms for a while. ''I don't really know what I'd do without you and your family. ''

He chuckled. ''Well, you wouldn't be in this mess. I know that. ''Smiling, I pulled back to look in his eyes and then we both stared at each other in silence.

When no words were spoken by either of us, I reached for him, I cupped his face pulling him down closer to mine. I had to see if I still loved him. Caius caused such unbridled passion in me. I wonder if I still had feelings for Edward. We kiss, and then kissed some more. I was waiting for some fireworks, or some type of spark, but there was absolutely nothing. I knew it. Eventually, we pulled away from each other and then I felt a strain in my chest. I didn't feel right. It was weird.

His forehead wrinkled at the look of my bewilderment etched on my face. ''I just worry about you, I had to make sure you were alright. Are you?''

''Oh, I'll be fine, ''I lied and grinned up at him. ''You know me. Danger magnet and all.''

He released my shoulders. ''You know I'd kill it anyone that dares to hurt you. Anyway, let's go they're waiting. ''

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Caius POV ...

My mate was in danger from her own boyfriend. Ironic. I had to save her. I was going to just about lose it and rip him to shreds when it hit me, the solution. I know it must be dreadful to admit to something like having that kind of dream, but I saw no other way to avoid conflict. As she explained I felt her anxiety. It made me want to rush to her and push the idiot out the window. But I stayed and forced myself to stay calm. I almost came undone with fury as the fool boy yelled at my Bella.

No matter what, a gentleman does not yell at his lady. At times, I have gotten angry with Athenodora through the years, but never yelled as he just did at Bella. A true man will never harm a lady, if he lays one hand on her, I will kill him!

Thankfully, my brave mate pulled off her lie with flying colors. Edward's beast was now contained, and I waited for them and soon saw them coming out of the house. Good, they seem in good spirits now. I smile at my cleverness, but it faded as I saw her embrace Edward. My undead heart cracked at the sight of their kiss.

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

It was a miserable journey home because I was not invited to come along. I flitted back as Edward took her, my mate. I had to wait for her to want me and to come to me with open arms. First, I had to explain myself, ugh. I was in agony.

I sat alone in the chair by the fireplace listening to the Cullen's discuss who could have attacked her and why. My thoughts were different from the group. They believe that Victoria sent him to kill her, but I thought he was just there to get to know his target. His scent was all over the place as if he were sniffing hers out, looking at her pictures and possessions so systematically. His scent was only on the things she owned and mostly around her room. Bella must have interrupted him and being a newborn well the smell of blood made him lose control.

It was hard to watch Edward cuddle on the couch with her instead of me. I knew I had made some sort of impression because she couldn't keep her eyes off me. I listened as they suggested taking turns watching her and I agreed. Immediately she protested and I was taken aback.

''I can't see you all starve! No, it's not fair to you all! ''She said decidedly with such loyalty that it warms my heart. I grew jealous and wished she would feel the same way for me. Well It's fine. I will be the first to show her mine.

''I insist that, I along with my guards, be allowed to help. That should lighten the load and we can all take turns to feed. ''I suggested and looked at Bella's reaction.

My mate gaze at me with a hint of feelings in her eyes and sighs. ''If you wish it, Caius. ''

Oh, I do my sweet mate, I do. ''I will take the first shift. ''